Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing sandstone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I'm doing a sandstone floor this week. The "tiles" are really patio slabs but they are being fixed in a kitchen and are approx 30mm deep.

I have applied 4 coats of LTP mattstone to a tile as a sample for the customer, but I just have a nagging feeling that the customer is going to ask for a glossy finish. Am I right in saying that I could use Lithofin Slate Seal to give a gloss finish? I realise that the slate seal is a topical sealer but I have a large tin in my lock-up and know that it will really make the stones shine.

Thoughts please?
Thanks in advance.

Daz

D

DHTiling

How about sticking to LTP Daz..

LTP Ironwax Gloss

Description: This tough ionised acrylic gloss sealer has been specially formulated to minimise maintenance of quarry tiles, terracotta, brick,Sandstone, slate, stone, terrazzo, unpolished marble and cement floors. LTP Ironwax Gloss may be used as a wax protector in conjuction with LTP Antique or Clear Beeswax. Maintain with LTP Floorshine.

Tips: Interior Use Only. On more porous surfaces pre-seal with LTP Ironwax Primer. Do not use in wet areas.

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

I did consider it Dave.

I guess I'm being lazy again. I haven't read up on the drying times for the primer before applying the 1st coat of sealer etc..

I intend to finish the fixing tomorrow, then get at least one coat (probably 2) of impregnator into the tiles prior to grouting. I'll then finish sealing them up once grouted.

D

DHTiling

But... does the customer want the hassle of the maintenance that goes with topical sealers..

If it is just colour enhancement then there are sealers for this.

D

Daz

Mate,

This customer is completely doing my head in :mad2:. She purchases an even number of 3 sizes of tiles, then says that she doesn't really like the 60 x 60 's and can I not lay many of them please?? :incazzato:.

Sorted the pattern out so she is happy. I sealed a sample tile with mattstone as she said that she wanted to maintain the look that she purchased )i.e. unsealed and un-colour enhanced).

I've just got this feeling that she is going to want a gloss finish when I turn up tomorrow :mad2:.

Have you any idea what work and timescales are involved with the LTP option, or do I need to read the data sheets fella?

D

DHTiling

It just goes straight on.. no primer first.. it is an acrylic sealer.. ( Topical)

D

Daz

It just goes straight on.. no primer first.. it is an acrylic sealer.. ( Topical)

Are you talking about the slate seal?
I've used that loads :smilewinkgrin:.

I've never used LTP primer, then Gloss impregnator, that it what I'm curious as to working practice and timescale?

D

Daz

According to the LTP website...

Step 1....I selected sandstone.
Step 2....I selected gloss finish.

Results...
I was told to clean, then prime, then seal :incazzato:.

I'll stop being lazy, finish blowing up balloons for my daughters birthday tomorrow, then go read the instructions :lol:.

Cheers,

D

DHTiling

Directions for use:
Ensure surface to be treated is completely clean, dry and free from cement and grout stain (see
LTP Grout Stain Remover). Any moisture may cause the LTP Ironwax Gloss to dry opaque or
prevent the seal from reaching full hardness. Using a sponge or soft fluff-free cloth, apply a thin
coat of LTP Ironwax Gloss evenly in one direction. Do not rub or buff the surface but allow to dry
(approx 1 hour). Apply a second coat at right angles to the first. Subsequent coats should be
applied at right angles to the previous. Do not over apply as too many coats may cause unsightly
build up and/or reduce the efficiency of the product. Hardens after about an hour but will take a
further three days to achieve full hardness and become fully water resistant. If in doubt,
experiment on spare tiles to establish the optimum number of coats before general use.

Try that.. primer is for terracotta extra.

Reply to Sealing sandstone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen