Currently reading:
saltillo tile sealer prior to laying

Discuss saltillo tile sealer prior to laying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rackend

Hello,

I am about to get quotes for laying a saltillo terracotta tile floor and having read what is on the web I am confused about what the best sealer would be prior to laying the tiles. If they need a lot of coats I am prepared to do this so the tiler can get on with laying them.

The tiles are being laid on a concrete screeded floor. Should this be primed as I have had one tiler in who said not to prime the floor.

Any advice would be much appreciated as these saltillo tiles seem to be a minefield.

Thanks,

R

T

Terry Cottar

Hello,

I am about to get quotes for laying a saltillo terracotta tile floor and having read what is on the web I am confused about what the best sealer would be prior to laying the tiles. If they need a lot of coats I am prepared to do this so the tiler can get on with laying them.

The tiles are being laid on a concrete screeded floor. Should this be primed as I have had one tiler in who said not to prime the floor.

Any advice would be much appreciated as these saltillo tiles seem to be a minefield.

Thanks,

R

What area u fixing the tiles? R they genuine saltillo? how longs the screed been down?

cud do with more info

tel

R

rackend

Thanks James,

That is very reassuring as a tiler came round yesterday to give a quote and he said the same thing.

Are you able to recommend a sealer?

R

TC,

The tiles are covering the whole of the ground floor of my small cottage, 30 square metres which includes sitting room and kitchen. The concrete screed in the newly extended part of the house was done 6 years ago. The tiles are Saltillo from Mexico and are genuine.

Thanks,
R

T

Terry Cottar

Thanks James,

That is very reassuring as a tiler came round yesterday to give a quote and he said the same thing.

Are you able to recommend a sealer?

R

TC,

The tiles are covering the whole of the ground floor of my small cottage, 30 square metres which includes sitting room and kitchen. The concrete screed in the newly extended part of the house was done 6 years ago. The tiles are Saltillo from Mexico and are genuine.

Thanks,
R

rackend

what do u wont the sealer to do leave the saltillo looking the same or enrich the colour

problem with saltillo is most of it is like a sponge youll need to do a couple of tests really on a spare tile before u stick em down this will give u an idea of the finish once they are fixed. post us back what look u want and i will tell u what sealer i would use

tel

R

rackend

Hello Tel,

The tiles are a pale pink so a richer colour sounds appealing. I know I don't want to go down the traditional lindseed oil and wax approach as it seems a real pain to maintain. I am tempted by what HG impregnator followed by the golvpolish claims to do but have no idea what the affect on the colour would be. I don't want it to be a complete disaster if something is spilled on the floor and would like a sealer and polish that makes cleaning and maintenance easier.

Cheers,

R

T

Time's Ran Out

Hello Rackend.

Call me old fashioned but the reason the major importers of mexican terracotta recommend Boiled Linseed oil and wax is because its the best!
The point of having a Terracotta floor is it gets better as it ages - the patina build up on a well maintained floor adds to its character.
I fully understand your point on maintenance but if this is a major issue then I would suggest you go for a ceramic lookalike.
Without the protection that you will receive from the wax, whatever impregnator (which is clear and have no change of colour) or golvpolish ( a surface satin or gloss sheen) the surface of the terracotta will wear and become scruffy in a short period of time.
It great that you are considering such a fantastic product but get it done properly - the traditional way.

1st coat = 50/50 white spirit/boiled linseed oil.
2nd coat = boiled linseed oil.
Grout - usually a sandstone colour (bal)
3rd coat = 50/50 or stronger - tiles must be spotless and fully dry!
Polishing - Johnsons beeswax with mechanical floor polisher again tiles must be spotless and dry.
NOTE : at any stage do not let oil stay on the surface of the tiles -any remaining after 10 mins clean off with white spirit.:thumbsup:

Hope you make the right choice.
Keep in touch.

John.

T

Terry Cottar

Hello Tel,

The tiles are a pale pink so a richer colour sounds appealing. I know I don't want to go down the traditional lindseed oil and wax approach as it seems a real pain to maintain. I am tempted by what HG impregnator followed by the golvpolish claims to do but have no idea what the affect on the colour would be. I don't want it to be a complete disaster if something is spilled on the floor and would like a sealer and polish that makes cleaning and maintenance easier.

Cheers,

R

afaraid to say if you do not want maintenance then you bought the wrong tile. you can use the best impreg sealer in the world and you are not going to get maint free. tmeless john is right in some respects but if you dont stick the linseed oil on right it looks rubbish but done correctly it look great so if you are going that way why not get a pro in to do it. or if you are going to do it yourself i would forget the impreg sealer and build up with a sheen topical until you get the look you want then put a few coats of hardner or wax on but either way you got maintenence. try it 1st on a ouple of spares b4 you do the whole floor

tel

J

James Spelrem

many people went away from hardwood because it was high maintenance covered with rug. in todays age most people have very busy lives and don't have time to maintane they want it to look good and stay looking good linseed is a wack load of maintenace. don't get me wrong there are some real garbage sealers on the market (latex)mostley santec wetlook looks cheap in my opion. no matter what there is maintenace but do you want to do this weekley/monthley,semianually or annually depending on traffic

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Terry Cottar

many people went away from hardwood because it was high maintenance covered with rug. in todays age most people have very busy lives and don't have time to maintane they want it to look good and stay looking good linseed is a wack load of maintenace. don't get me wrong there are some real garbage sealers on the market (latex)mostley santec wetlook looks cheap in my opion. no matter what there is maintenace but do you want to do this weekley/monthley,semianually or annually depending on traffic

there is going to be maint whatever way he goes hes got em in his kitchen as well

tel

R

rackend

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses. I am getting a pro in. I have rebuilt the house from top to bottom on my own but I am a slow worker and everything takes ages when doing it alone. I have bought the tiles, adhesive, and grout and knew what I was getting into before I went this way.

I am trying to re-introduce some character into the place and terracotta would go some way to enhancing the feel of the place. The tiles will set the tone for all the other finishes and furnishings so I would like it to be done right.

I am aware that lindseed oil and wax have to be done properly and such a treated floor requires regular maintenance but am not sure how regular and what kind of maintenance. Would I need to have a floor polisher in the house? I don't know what one would do if stuff was spilt on such a surface.

The shop I bought the tiles from has one square metre of these tiles laid right in front of the door and they receive a lot of traffic and yes, the pattena is what I was attracted to, but they work on that floor weekly because it is their show room.

I am in Oxfordshire and tilers here seem to prefer using acrylic sealers/polishes as they are always called back. Fortunately, two people I have contacted are going to treat several tiles so I can see the affect.

Thanks,

Rackend

T

Time's Ran Out

rackend - Just an update!

As Davy G said -'I feel a poll coming on' and that sums it up!
Everyone has their own opinion and in the end its up to you. But from your later posts it would seem as though character is the look your after!
I don't know the product that James Spelrem is talking about and he's right that are some poor sealers around but even if we are in the 21st century not everything is progress.
If its prepared and fixed correctly ( look at previous terracotta work they've done) you should have no maintenance for the first 3 months, then a monthly polish ( electrolux 3 brush polisher - like a hoover- about £180) just to buff up the floor.
The linseed oil will collect dirt if you leave excess on at the fixing stage and I dealt with that in my original reply, however if the polish is applied right and buffed to a shine, once hard it protects the tiles and a soft brush and damp cloth to remove dirt is all that required .
So from an old school 21st century man I bid you farewell!:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

J

James Spelrem

Don't get me wrong timeless John Have worked with linseed oil I have just found that people don't maintane as well as they should I have found over time linseed oil is a soft finish needing close attention. all sealers are not bullet proof. all need maintenace just less often with petrolium based sealer which the one down fall IT TAKES SO LONG TO CURE. I really liked the dicussion timeless john your a man of great mind.

T

Time's Ran Out

James - I'am just a tiler with 35 years experience!

10-15 years ago terracotta was very popular in the UK and I spent a lot of time through my local tile distributor making site visits to inspect 'problem' jobs - always associated with sealing and grouting.
Ultimately these disasters (along with fashion trends) ruined the market for this fantastic product and so its great that someone is again trying to revive the look.
I would be the first to agree that maintenance is an issue with this material but IMO the advantages of terracotta - done properley - make it a material of character and distinction!:thumbsup:

Type to you soon.

John.

PS. Rackend - keep in touch - pictures please.

Reply to saltillo tile sealer prior to laying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am about to waterproof an existing shower after taking out all of the old tiles and old mud waterproofing. From what I see there is an existing drainage. The idea is to clean everything...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.