Currently reading:
Resin Backed Limestone - Failure

Discuss Resin Backed Limestone - Failure in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 18697

We fitted a limestone floor a while ago, the tiles had a resin backing on them. We took advice from an adhesive company and they recommended their S1 adhesive. The floor has now extensively debonded. The adhesive has failed to bond to the backs of the tiles. Has anyone else had an experience like this? The base was a screed with under floor heating and we fitted ditra matting. The tiles were buttered before bedding. Any thoughts on this, gratefully received.

S

Spud

What have the adhesive company said? There are a few threads on here about failures with resin backed stone and I think you should contact the supplier and stone federation for some guidance as I believe the stone federation recommend that the resin is removed prior to fixing but since there are so many different types of products out there it can be a minefield
A lot of stone companies resin back their slabs to stop damage while being transported but recommend it removed prior to fixing , some use it to laminate the stone for structural strength and it can't be removed most of these types of products recommend fixing with s2 classified adhesives

D

Deleted member 18697

The supplier knew about the under floor heating. I left 2 messages asking what their recommendation for fixing would be and got no reply! This in hindsight is quite telling. I therefore contacted the adhesive company who recommended their s1 adhesive (in writing). Their were no instructions from the supplier to remove the backing. This would have been a huge task as it was well stuck on and there was over 100m of stone. The adhesive company are due to come out and have a look and we will see how they play it.

J

jonnyc

What have the adhesive company said? There are a few threads on here about failures with resin backed stone and I think you should contact the supplier and stone federation for some guidance as I believe the stone federation recommend that the resin is removed prior to fixing but since there are so many different types of products out there it can be a minefield
A lot of stone companies resin back their slabs to stop damage while being transported but recommend it removed prior to fixing , some use it to laminate the stone for structural strength and it can't be removed most of these types of products recommend fixing with s2 classified adhesives
I have never heard on any stone /marble supplier recommending that resin backingb should be removed prior to fixing

D

Deleted member 18697

The TTA's view on this is that because there is no British Standard on the fixing of resin backed tiles it is down to the supplier to provide a fixing method. If they are unable to do this then the tiles are not fit for purpose.
The supplier did not provide a fixing method even when asked but the adhesive company did. Therefore, I believe I am covered from a legal point of view.

J

jonnyc

The TTA's view on this is that because there is no British Standard on the fixing of resin backed tiles it is down to the supplier to provide a fixing method. If they are unable to do this then the tiles are not fit for purpose.
The supplier did not provide a fixing method even when asked but the adhesive company did. Therefore, I believe I am covered from a legal point of view.
Dave did you send email to stone supplier and get any sort of reply or speak to them.
i forgot to ask when we spoke what name of stone was

J

jonnyc

Been up since 5.15 mate!
Been up doing what at 5.15am!!
only just got back because the weight of bass I caught made me overloaded and had to eat before I left !!!!
norfolk coast great but I couldn't find a single pub including the one I was staying in that had sky sports and managed to turn it on for our dismal failure in fotball that had rugby on!
Dave,you asked the right question of stone supplier but they never responded and adhesive supplier recommended an adhesive for resin backed stone.
hindsight okay but would seem that there must be varied versions of resin backed stone not just from one country !
How are we to know that.
i feel right now that we stone fixers should a failure occur , are being hung out even though we are asking the right questions

Reply to Resin Backed Limestone - Failure in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement