Discuss Replacing silicone around shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I just bought a house and noticed the stone resin shower tray is leaking.
The silicone job is pretty crap so I started removing it with the aim of redoing it properly but noticed the shower tray is still wrapped in plastic around the edges meaning the silicone hasn't bonded to the side of the tray but to the plastic. No wonder it's leaking as the water can just flow between the tray and the plastic.

Now I'm never gonna be able to remove all this silicone and plastic as the gap is tight and I can't get any tools in there. I'm going to get some silicone remover and give that a go.
I've also ordered a set of these trims:
Byretech_Shower_Seal_dims_zm3.jpg

How critical is it that I remove all the existing silicone? I assume as long as I get a decent seal between the top side of the tray and the tiled wall with the trim then the seal between the edge of the tray and the wall will be less critical.
Any advice?

Cheers

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not a fan of those type of seals personally, they are just a dirt and germ trap.

You ideally want to strip all the sealant off if you can, there are tools for it and the silicone remover you are getting will help. If water has gotten in/under there then mould has probably started to grow, if you just seal over that its just waiting to come through also so you may as well just do it all properly

What's stopping you just trimming the protective wrapping that has been left as snug to the tile with a stanley blade and just re sealing it? you should still be able to get a good seal to the tray/tile

Reaction score
Cheers guys, everything arrived today so I'll get cracking on removing it all, being sure to test the remover on a hidden part of the tray first.

Reply to Replacing silicone around shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just tiled one of two sides of my shower tray but I’ve left a 7mm gap at the base...
Replies
Views
Hi is it better to use an under tip sealing strip on shower tray or just silicone it. Has...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've received conflicting advice on whether the bottom horizontal piece of a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22