Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Replacing cracked tile - slope on subfloor in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am replacing a cracked tile (porcelain 60x60). However I have noticed the subfloor is sloped slightly, the adhesive that was on before was a lot thicker at the bottom of the tile then the top so I don't think its recent movement.

What is the best way of dealing with this? Should i use a larger notched trowel at the the bottom then the top?!?

Thanks

IMG_20210320_153026447.jpg

IMG_20210320_151534267.jpg

IMG_20210309_193024133.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is this a project that you tiled originally? the cracks in the tile reflect almost perfectly the crack in the subfloor. If you are repairing your own work fair enough but if you are doing a repair on an old job you should be really careful about covering yourself against buying the liability if it cracks again. Just my thoughts.

Reaction score
No, I am just a DIY-er. The tile was cracked on the floor when I bought the house last year. Starting to annoy me now!

Can I layer the adhesive up to fill the gap at the bottom?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
No, I am just a DIY-er. The tile was cracked on the floor when I bought the house last year. Starting to annoy me now!

Can I layer the adhesive up to fill the gap at the bottom?
Just bed the tile on a solid bed of adhesive, you’ve inherited what looks like a Dot and Dabbed installation, the cracked tile was probably impact damage from something dropped.

Reply to Replacing cracked tile - slope on subfloor in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks