Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss ready mixed or not ready mixed adhesive in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

leec

hey fellas just trying to get a better understanding of the world of tiling, now are ready mixed adhesives and grouts recommended by the majority or should i stick to make it up yourself stuff, and what are the recommended brands to go for now bearing in mind im on a bit of a tight budget the room i want to do is my bathroom 1.5m length 1.2m width so not not a massive area to work in. thanks

G

Gazzer

Get the stuff you mix with water ie powder in a bag.
Brand names, Mapei, get along to Tile Giant and they have a cheaper version of Mapei ( still same manufacturer though)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Dispersion adhesives are ok for smaller tiles and bed depths at 3mm and less.. but IMO bagged adhesives do not skin as quick and you can get slow setting for slow tilers..:) or for working at a slow pace for intricate work etc..

So the choice is yours but at least with a bagged adhesive you know it will set in the required time unlike tubbed that can take a lot longer a lot of the time..

I

Ian

Just to add another point, if you are on a budget you will get better value from a bagged powdered adhesive. A 20kg bag will cover around 8m2 per bag and a 15 litre tub of ready mixed will cover around 5m2 for a similar price. (based on using a 6mm notched trowel)

L

leec

ok cheers folks i guess its bagged powder it is then! i dont even need a huge bag bathrrom is small 1.5m wide 1.2m long so its small. saying that ive possibly got a kitchen to do in the new year..........................

L

leec

ta!! one other Q is it best to adhesive the tiles one day grout the next or spread it out for an entire day

D

doug boardley

I nearly always leave grouting till the next day, even if I've used rapid set as I don't want to be hanging around for 3 hours waiting for it to set.

Kevin1

-
Reaction score
Just to add another point, if you are on a budget you will get better value from a bagged powdered adhesive. A 20kg bag will cover around 8m2 per bag and a 15 litre tub of ready mixed will cover around 5m2 for a similar price. (based on using a 6mm notched trowel)
Ian, sounds like you know your onions, does powder mixed adhesive spread more easily than ready mixed?

Reply to ready mixed or not ready mixed adhesive in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks