Currently reading:
Quartz tiles problem

Discuss Quartz tiles problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Shazzapat

Hi - new house with underfloor heating layed on top of anhydrite screed. Quartz tiles bought from online retailer. Floor primed with p51 - ardex x77w adhesive used and ardex fl stormy mist grout used. After a few weeks tiles started to lift at ends now 4 months since laying most have lifted. We checked with retailer who are insisting they are suitable with Ufh and saying it must be something we have done. Identical house next door with Ufh but normal porcelain floor tiles and no problems. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

S

Shazzapat

Hi - new house with underfloor heating layed on top of anhydrite screed. Quartz tiles bought from online retailer. Floor primed with p51 - ardex x77w adhesive used and ardex fl stormy mist grout used. After a few weeks tiles started to lift at ends now 4 months since laying most have lifted. We checked with retailer who are insisting they are suitable with Ufh and saying it must be something we have done. Identical house next door with Ufh but normal porcelain floor tiles and no problems. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

screed floor was sanded and vacuumed
company Is based in Leeds I believe
we did slowly introduce Ufh

Where do we go when supplier won't help or return calls?

D

DHTiling

screed floor was sanded and vacuumed
company Is based in Leeds I believe
we did slowly introduce Ufh

Where do we go when supplier won't help or return calls?

You can go to Trade and Standards ...>>>>> Trading Standards Institute - Home page ... or if an inspection is required then you can go to the TTA ... >>> For tiles, tilers, tiling and the tiles industry: The Tile Association

C

Concrete guy

As others have said, the majority of Quartz tiles are cheap imports and have too much resin in the make up to be suitable for any type of ufh.
And you have to use low water adhesives, as they suck up masses of water.

This resin thing is a misconception, most manufacturers are doing their best to reduce resin content as it's the single most expensive component when producing engineered stone tops. So cheap tops are likely to have too little resin not too much.

The water one is new to me though - who told you quartz sucks up masses water? The single biggest selling point of Quartz is is almost complete lack of absorption, it's why it passes to many bacteria and hygiene standards.

The main problem with quartz tiles in the UK is anything less than 15mm thick is not really suitable for flooring, it's not structurally stable enough - add UFH to that and it's a recipe for failure.

J

jlktiling

This resin thing is a misconception, most manufacturers are doing their best to reduce resin content as it's the single most expensive component when producing engineered stone tops. So cheap tops are likely to have too little resin not too much.

The water one is new to me though - who told you quartz sucks up masses water? The single biggest selling point of Quartz is is almost complete lack of absorption, it's why it passes to many bacteria and hygiene standards.

The main problem with quartz tiles in the UK is anything less than 15mm thick is not really suitable for flooring, it's not structurally stable enough - add UFH to that and it's a recipe for failure.

A combo of reading on websites and bal technical.
Forgive me if I'm wrong... But I think I'm correct in what adhesives etc I'm using.

Reply to Quartz tiles problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement