Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with glass mosaic wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

elaine17

Hi all,

I am a newbie and diyer. We are retiling the bathroom in our new house but are having some problems with the glass mosaic wall tiles we have. Basically, the mosaics are going to create a vertical stripe approx 20cm wide and also a splashback.

My brother in law is doing the tiling, he has had a bit of experience with normal wall and floor tiles and also some mosaics, though not like the ones we are trying to use.

He has tiled the wall where the stripe is to be with the main wall tiles and left the space for the mosaic infill. He put the first tile in from the bottom, with the bottom of the tile resting on a batten fixed to the wall. He is using BAL mosaic tile fix, and a mosaic trowel. All looked fine until he put the second sheet of mosaic above the first which then caused both sheets to sag. :yikes:

The mosaics are coloured glass with a fibre mesh back, and are quite heavy. The tiles have also started to come away from the mesh where my BIL is trying to position the individual tiles to stop sagging.

BIL thinks that it could be that he is using too much adhesive. As the mosaics are thinner than the wall tiles, he is using a thicker bed of adhesive to get the mosaic to be level with the main wall tile. He thinks it may be necessary to put something in the space for the mosaic before tiling, such as a 4mm tile backer board or 4mm coat of plaster, so that the mosaics will be flush to the tiles. The walls already have aquapanel on them as it is partition wall.

Please could anyone advise on the best technique for putting on mosaic glass wall tiles, to get them to hold position without sagging, and to get them to be the same level as the main wall tile??

Really appreciate any help you guys can give!!

Cheers
Ellie

C

charlie1

Hi Elaine, plaster the area where you want the mosaics to go so that when you tile, you only need a thin skim of adhesive (about 1mm) or use more backer board! Btw, is your bro in law a tiler?

E

elaine17

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for quick reply and your advice! I think I will go for thin tile backer board behind mosaic as seems simpler option. BIL isn't a tiler by trade but he is an excellent diyer. Glass mosaics are a new challenge for him though!

Cheers
Ellie

R

Rookery

Alternatively, you could use a mosaic mesh on the back of the mosaic sheets. These are self adhesive and make handling of mosaic sheets more forgiving. They also add a couple of mm to the thickness tho I accept maybe not enough for you in this instance. I would also consider starting at the top and working down.

B

Brindle

I would apply a skim of rapid flexi adhesive, use a very small tooth towel to give you ta consistent depth required. Then smooth it over and leave to dry. get yourself some mosaic mesh, backing sheets, as previously mentioned, should go fine then : ) and shouldn't slump as your adhesive will be much thinner. Good fun eh!
Brindle

Reaction score
what is this mosaic mesh ? the mosaic is already on sheets of mesh ! there is a danger of reducing the surface area of the individual mosaic tiles with adding more mesh, thus reducing contact with adhesive /tile's, just use a dog ear rule and build the adhesive out to the correct level so the mosaic is flush with the field tiles ..........

R

Rookery

what is this mosaic mesh ? the mosaic is already on sheets of mesh ! there is a danger of reducing the surface area of the individual mosaic tiles with adding more mesh, thus reducing contact with adhesive /tile's, just use a dog ear rule and build the adhesive out to the correct level so the mosaic is flush with the field tiles ..........

I know what you're saying about reducing the available surface area of the back of tile but the original poster is a DIYer and I'm not sure they'd get the dogtooth method flat enough on which to fix the tiles. Thats why I suggested the mosaic mesh. Beava is the one my local shop stocks. I've used it a few times and it works.

S

stan1888

Try Gensis or SUPA PRO Mosaic Wall Spacers.

Think CTD sell them, alternatively google it and you can buy online!

E

elaine17

Thanks all for your advice! I will consult with BIL but the mosaic spacers seem like the ideal solution to get our mosaics flush and straight!! Plus heaps cheaper than backer board!!

Really appreciate all your help, you are a fountain of knowledge for us diyers!! :hurray:

Reply to Problems with glass mosaic wall tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen