Search the forum,

Discuss problems sealing slate!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ruairi mac

Hi everyone, i need some help asap!!

I just finished tiling a slate floor yesterday, customer was very happy, I got paid and went home.

Customer rang this morning to see if I could call to take a look at the floor as he was concerned about the finish, basically I applied the last coat of sealer yesterday with a small soft paintbrush and the sealer has dried with the brush strokes in it!!

The tiles themselves are a black slate tile 900x600, 600x600 and 600x400 in a modular pattern.

Tiles were set with minimal lippage and customer actually commented on this as his daughter has the same tiles but were laid by someone else.

Tiles were washed 3 or 4 times with clean water and after the customer managed to spill a full cup of tea on the un-sealed floor, they even got a wash with Lithofin Power Clean.

The tiles were left to dry and next day I applied a coat of Larsen Colour Enhancer. Some tiles obviously soaked this up more than others but after a second coat of Larsen Colour Enhancer the floor looked great. ( both coats were just rubbed on with a clean cloth )

To seal the floor before grouting I used Larsen Tile, Slate and Floor sealer. Its a milky white liquid. I started to apply it with a roller but found that it was ponding/puddling so i then tried the paintbrush. At this time i was concerned about the brushstrokes so i rang my local supplier and Larsen as well, both told me that the products were definitely compatible and could be applied with a roller or soft brush when i explained about the ponding/brushstrokes i was told that it should dry out OK.
I didn't want to take a chance with it so I applied the sealer with the brush and rubbed it up with clean cloths and I was happy with the glossier finish on the tiles compared to the un-sealed tiles.
Before I left that day i took a cutting of the slate that i had tested the Enhancer on and brushed a coat of the sealer on and left it overnight.

The next morning (yesterday) I went back and grouted the floor and washed it twice to make sure there was no grout residue on the tiles. the sample tile I sealed the night before was looking good so i was under the impression if I just brush the sealer on and let it dry it would be fine.

Then I got the phone call this morning!!!

I have never come across this before with any other products, so basically any help or ideas on were I went wrong would be much appreciated.
What is the best way to apply the sealer coat?
From what I've seen today I am going to have to strip the sealer coats back and do it again, what product is best for doing this? and what product is best for sealing a slate floor that has been colour enhanced.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ruairi Mac.

Reply to problems sealing slate!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.