Search the forum,

Discuss Problem: Tiling on wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daniel A

Hi guys,

Advise would be appreciated-

Tiling on 22mm chipboard, over-plyed with 9mm boards, with 1 part adhesive but some tiles appear to be de-bonding.

Some slight movement in the floor, would a 6mm cement board help this? Or any other suggestions?

thanks

G

Gazzer

9mm ply is not good enough, it should be 15mm min.
But you need to sort that movement out before laying cement boards as they wont add any strength.

B

Bubblecraft

9mm ply is fine screwed every 150mm2 & ply fully primed with an SBR. Over sheeting isn't going to solve the problem. You'll need to source where the movement is on the original subfloor if any. Good chance they are de-bonding due to insufficient amount of screws, not being primed correctly or a non flexible adhesive used.
How far apart were the screws & what primer did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry bubble but I'm with Sir Ramic - 9mm ply isn't thick enough.
Surface of ply shouldn't be primed, just the back and edges.
Get chip board solid then over board with cement sheet and do away with that nasty timber substrate.

B

Bubblecraft

I agree that cement board would be best but there is already 9mm ply in place and nothing wrong with that if fitted correctly. If cost isnt an issue, re-sheet with cement boards. Didn't mean to say prime surface. Corrected now. Oops!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bugs183

As above, sort out any movement, then cement board, bedded into adhesive and screwed down with the appropriate metal washers.

Reply to Problem: Tiling on wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen