Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Pricing up in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m just after abit of advice. I’ve been tiling for 2 years now Self employed but sub contracting to the same person and I’m now thinking about going On my own full time. I was just wondering how you lot price up new builds. Do you put a price in that includes everything or do you put a price in let’s £50m2 but that only includes labour trim adhesive and grout then you put the price of tiles on top. I.e 6m2 wall tiling £300 for labour trim etc plus £180 for tiles so overall price £480? Thanks in advance much appreciated

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m just after abit of advice. I’ve been tiling for 2 years now Self employed but sub contracting to the same person and I’m now thinking about going On my own full time. I was just wondering how you lot price up new builds. Do you put a price in that includes everything or do you put a price in let’s £50m2 but that only includes labour trim adhesive and grout then you put the price of tiles on top. I.e 6m2 wall tiling £300 for labour trim etc plus £180 for tiles so overall price £480? Thanks in advance much appreciated

Hello Bud, Depends on the job. Assess the job. If you're going over fresh board or newly plastered, then this will go smoother for you (as will a newly self levelled floor, but other floors may need self levelling, so you price in bags and labour on this separately), so i would price with basic plastic trim, adhesive and grout. If you come across a bathroom with uneven surfaces or big bowing in the wall then you will want to charge more time and more materials. (e.g. The soundness of the walls and levels of walls. if you're going to be bedding the walls out, it would be slower and it will cost more on materials).
Some jobs are only worth you putting a day rate on because they are awkward, small or niche and it would be in your favour to ask for labour cost and materials as extra cost.

As for including tiles in your metre rate, Avoid! let the customer sort them, of course you can encourage them your way by offering tile discounts but they pay for tiles.

hope that helps. sorry ive just woke up lol

Reaction score
I'd always try to keep labour and material costs separate. I'd either stick with a square metre rate that is achievable to yourself. Or a fixed price based on X number of days to complete the job. Should you have to supply meterials always allow a bit extra, don't be afraid to make a bit of profit (after all it your time and fuel picking up materials). I did way too much for nothing when I first started out. Hope it all goes well for you.

D

Dumbo

If you are doing new builds and supplying any material you will need to be vat registered so the client can claim back the vat on the materials and your Labour, if your not supplying don't worry and you won't have vat on Labour either

Reaction score
Which I would be doing so will have to look into that thanks. Regarding pricing it up do you price per m2 inc the tiles or add on the price of tiles to your m2 price

D

Dumbo

Which I would be doing so will have to look into that thanks. Regarding pricing it up do you price per m2 inc the tiles or add on the price of tiles to your m2 price
How can you price inc tiles if you don't now what tiles are being used .
If you get a full spec telling what tiles then why give a price of supplied and fitted per metre , because if you can get a good discount on the tiles you can hide some of your Labour cost there

Reply to Pricing up in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks