Currently reading:
Pricing crisis!!

Discuss Pricing crisis!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geraldine

Just finished my first tiling job: 7 square meters on 2 walls in a kitchen with two recessed windows, one of which is 2.30m long, the other 1.20m and 19 square meters of floor. There was quite a bit of cutting. Because it is my first job, it took me ages so didn't charge by the hour but by the square meter at £xx/square meter. Is that reasonable? :huh2: Everyone seems to think I did a good job but I am having a crisis of conscience...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

geraldine

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. The customer I think was expecting to pay less as she is a friend and was giving me the job as a "leg up" in my new business, but it did take me 100 hours!!!!!!! to do the job. It was an old town house where nothing was either square or flat. The walls were lime-plastered and builders had to fix those as I went along.... Also had to do extra trips because the builder who got the tiles miscalculated and I ran out.... The kitchen looks lovely though :)

M

Mr Tiler

Now I know how much you charged I can give you a proper answer! If it took more than a day then you've underpriced! However as its your first job you can't expect the customer to pay for your training. Be happy that you got paid, did a decent job, and hopefully enjoyed it - because that's what it's all about.

agree here you may be better pring it by the m2 rather than a day rate as if it takes longer than a more experienced tiler the customer is not paying for it. that's what I have been doing anyway... no need for that anymore lol

Reply to Pricing crisis!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement