Search the forum,

Discuss Pricing crisis!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geraldine

Just finished my first tiling job: 7 square meters on 2 walls in a kitchen with two recessed windows, one of which is 2.30m long, the other 1.20m and 19 square meters of floor. There was quite a bit of cutting. Because it is my first job, it took me ages so didn't charge by the hour but by the square meter at £xx/square meter. Is that reasonable? :huh2: Everyone seems to think I did a good job but I am having a crisis of conscience...

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Unfortunately we don't discuss pricing in the open areas of the forum. I'll answer your question for you though, your price was too cheap. Just my opinion of course, if you feel happy with what you charged and your customers were happy with the job, then that's all that matters.

M

Mr Tiler

so... its your first job, get paid and go home with profit as long as the customer is happy that's what should put your face straight at first mate take pride and start charging more as the work comes in.

G

Gazzer

Start working for a cheap rate and you will get a reputation for it. Getting a higher rate as you progress could be harder.

G

geraldine

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. The customer I think was expecting to pay less as she is a friend and was giving me the job as a "leg up" in my new business, but it did take me 100 hours!!!!!!! to do the job. It was an old town house where nothing was either square or flat. The walls were lime-plastered and builders had to fix those as I went along.... Also had to do extra trips because the builder who got the tiles miscalculated and I ran out.... The kitchen looks lovely though :)

G

geraldine

Took 100 hours.... I don't recommend it to anyone. It was a really great experience though. I am just not too happy that an 18-year old would have been paid more as an apprentice!

Reply to Pricing crisis!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen