Discuss Poor and unfinished job - what are my options in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a local Facebook group, he also sent us pictures of his work). He quoted us a price without seeing the place or the tiles, but I sent him pictures of the bathroom (we had another tiler come around who quoted a similar price, so that wasn't a cheap quote). When he arrived, he met with my partner. He said the tiles were very small and he should have quoted us double for that. So they agreed he wouldn't tile straight and would let the hexagons show (it was just to tile two walls around the shower and a backsplash). He refused to use the hexagons to tile the skirting and asked us to buy some metro tiles. He said the place hadn't been tanked and charged us £250 for that (our builder argues it's very quick to do and shouldn't cost that much). He said there wasn't enough space for a niche (our builder disagrees). He then asked to be paid more, because he had spent more time. Stupidly we did pay him. Then realised that a lot of the work was not properly done. He hadn't tiled all the way under the threshold, had missed a few tiles where the shower screen has been installed, and has tiled too high before the sink was installed, so there are a few centimetres between the sink and the backsplash.
We bought the metro tiles, which arrived last week. He said he would come to finish the work. We then realised that the hexagons don't even match in the corner (it's 2 walls only, so they should match). Since then he has said he would come 4 different times and always has a good reason for not coming. The latest one (yesterday) is that his daughter is in the hospital. As much as I sympathise with that, there is still a part of me that wonders if that's true, and a bigger part of me thinks that I would never let a client down like that. I would never charge more after a project was finished, and I wouldn't let an unfinished project inconvenience a client.
We need to be able to use the bathroom, so we need the work finished. Also, this corner is going to haunt me every shower, and I have no idea how to get him to redo it and finish the bathroom? Can I get someone else to redo it and charge it for it? To make matter worth, before we had seen his work, we booked him for understaffs toilets and paid a deposit. Can we get our deposit back?
Thanks for reading. This is part of a very large renovation project, we've two small children, work full time, .. so it's been difficult and we made mistakes we know of, please don't point this out. We know.

Attachments

• 20220425_153259.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220425_160512.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220430_134613.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220430_134618.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220507_105956.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 131

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Not good, I feel for you.

Unfortunatley he has messed up by not bothering to do a site visit to discuss the job and the tiles, if he had this could of all been avoided. I never price anything without seeing it first, as you will always get caught out.

I believe you have to give him the opportunity to put it right, but I get the impression you won't get much joy. Perhaps it is worth speaking to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards.

I would certainly ask for your deposit back for the understairs WC.

With regards the cost of the tanking, I can see how he might arrive at that figure. If he had to purchase tanking soley for your job the tub of tanking could cost anywhere from £50 to about £90, if he then felt it ment him coming in an additional day to get 2 coats on (Might have to make two visits depending on drying time in between coats) then he might also charge you a days labour which gets you to the £250. Not everyone works the same, some people might charge you a half day if they had another job they could go to some would charge you the full day regardless.

Good luck.

V

Vinny Kehoe

Hi there I'm vinny and I've been tiling 35 years .something to make it slightly better is to take out the smallest pieces of tile over the sink an put larger cuts in and in the shower put a wider line of silicone in the corners an it will take your eye off the corner cuts and on the floor take the cuts out of threshold and finish it neatly as least it will all look slightly better..

Reply to Poor and unfinished job - what are my options in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks