Search the forum,

Discuss plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sibs

You do PVA plasterboard before skimming. This is so that it doesn't suck too much moisture out of the plaster.This is called suction. If too much moisture is sucked out of the plaster by a high suction background it will cause the plaster to dry unevenly or too quickly and crack. Same reason you should never try to speed up the drying process of plaster with heat.
Amazing what you learn at plastering school ain't it! lol

W

White Room

You do PVA plasterboard before skimming. This is so that it doesn't suck too much moisture out of the plaster.This is called suction. If too much moisture is sucked out of the plaster by a high suction background it will cause the plaster to dry unevenly or too quickly and crack. Same reason you should never try to speed up the drying process of plaster with heat.

I've only been plastering 25+ year's so I might be a bit sticky on this question. I can't believe they taught you to pva plasterboard before skimming, Plasterboard is made so you get certain amount of suction, The russians I mentioned are the only people I have ever seen pva'ing board's, There are certain board british gypsum recomend to pva and moisture resistant boards (the green one) that come's to mind. On old plaster if reskimming seal and and pva, Yes high suction will crack the plaster, plasterboard is not one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh no you don't, plasterboard is made to be plastered onto as it is, in fact it is the perfect background for skimming onto..Mark

S

sibs

Mmmmm.... I've obviously got that bit wrong then... was a bit of a while ago so apologies was just trying to do it from memory but will re read my notes. As you can probably tell learnt tecnique but haven't put it into practice. Would love to go and gain a bit of experience under the wings of a propper plasterer. I am aware that 2 weeks of plastering courses does not a plasterer make so sorry for my mistake. Full respect to all good plasterers out there!

Reply to plasterboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for cutting large format porc? Ive been relatively lucky up until recently and been able to cut most of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them. Price seems good for the tiles I need, but I need a large number of porcelain tiles for an external...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.