• Thread starter Flintstone
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 7K
  • van
Search the forum,

Discuss Paying vat on a second hand van in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

I've been looking at getting a new van, not brand new, around 2015 model, there all plus vat, why is that on a used van ?

W

WetSaw

If the van was originally bought by a VAT registered person/company they would have reclaimed the VAT and would have to charge it when they sell it. Buying from a non VAT registered person the VAT wouldn't have been reclaimed so the government have their money!

T

Time's Ran Out

Because it's a van!
Simple.
You can claim it back if your registered but it's just more tax into the Governments coffers.
Is it a private sale or a dealer?

F

Flintstone

Most of them are from dealers. How come there isn't vat on an older van then that's had a few owners? What would happen if i bought a van now and paid the vat, then sold it next week, do I loose that vat money as I'm not vat registered

D

Dumbo

I've been looking at getting a new van, not brand new, around 2015 model, there all plus vat, why is that on a used van ?
If the previous owner wasn't vat registered there should be no vat on it. I brought a 13 plate traffic from a Renault dealer that was 8 months old but because the previous owner was not vat registered I paid no vat .

F

Flintstone

But do the sellers just up the price to price the van in line with all the others

D

Dumbo

I just the same with adhesive . Let's say you are vat registered. You pay say 12 pound a bag . Claim back £2 you want to make £10 so you sell it £20 +vat =£24 you then send £4 to inland revenue or your not vat registered . Buy for 12 make ten sell for 22 .

W

WetSaw

Most of them are from dealers. How come there isn't vat on an older van then that's had a few owners? What would happen if i bought a van now and paid the vat, then sold it next week, do I loose that vat money as I'm not vat registered

After a few owners it usually ends up with someone who isn't VAT registered.
If you're not VAT registered you can't claim back VAT on anything you buy anyway.

Reply to Paying vat on a second hand van in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen