Search the forum,

Discuss Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

graham1708

Hi all,

Just want to know your thoughts on partnership or sole trading.

My mate and I have been tiling together for the last 12 months on a 50/50 basis. Lately I have been wondering how efficient it is with the both of us tiling in the same bathroom.

I know on a good background I can probably fix 10m2 on a good day but with the both of us on the job I recon we would do between 12-13m2.

I just starting to think about efficiency and time and whether I should take the jump and go it alone.

The other reason behind this is money, obviously with 2 of us at 50/50 our prices can be high as I price for time as much as meterage.

Any thoughts will be helpful. (Please vote in the poll)

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

From my own experiance I've always remained on my own. Use a labourer for your running round, tile cuts and grouting just my personal opinion though

G

graham1708

Must be a pretty big bathroom mate, how do you mean you price for time as well as m2 ? surely it's one or the other ?

And welcome to TF :welcome:

If we are doing just 4m in a kitchen for instance, then the m2 price wouldn't feed both our families so I charge day rate for the two of us:8:

D

doug boardley

often thought if it's worth my wife becoming a partner, albeit on paper for tax purposes. Talk to your partner tho' as he may be tinking the same as yourself and a lack of communication could have devastating effects on both your personal and professional relationship:smilewinkgrin:

G

graham1708

And you get the jobs :dizzy2: 'kin 'ell, I'm either doing it too fast or I need to up the price :lol:

LOL!! I know?!?! I do try and price fairly, we don't make a great deal of money but I know even if a job takes me a day or two longer on my own I could lower my price and still make more than I do now.

W

White Room

I find if I'm working on my own I get more done, if there's someone else to much talk which slows me down

G

graham1708

often thought if it's worth my wife becoming a partner, albeit on paper for tax purposes. Talk to your partner tho' as he may be tinking the same as yourself and a lack of communication could have devastating effects on both your personal and professional relationship:smilewinkgrin:

I agree with you, the only thing is, he can get some work as his brother has a building site but I don't think he has got the confidence to go it alone.

I'm starting to think I have no option but to go on my own as bad as it sounds. I hope I don't come across as greedy.

Reply to Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen