Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

graham1708

Hi all,

Just want to know your thoughts on partnership or sole trading.

My mate and I have been tiling together for the last 12 months on a 50/50 basis. Lately I have been wondering how efficient it is with the both of us tiling in the same bathroom.

I know on a good background I can probably fix 10m2 on a good day but with the both of us on the job I recon we would do between 12-13m2.

I just starting to think about efficiency and time and whether I should take the jump and go it alone.

The other reason behind this is money, obviously with 2 of us at 50/50 our prices can be high as I price for time as much as meterage.

Any thoughts will be helpful. (Please vote in the poll)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Must be a pretty big bathroom mate, how do you mean you price for time as well as m2 ? surely it's one or the other ?

And welcome to TF :welcome:

W

White Room

From my own experiance I've always remained on my own. Use a labourer for your running round, tile cuts and grouting just my personal opinion though

G

graham1708

Must be a pretty big bathroom mate, how do you mean you price for time as well as m2 ? surely it's one or the other ?

And welcome to TF :welcome:

If we are doing just 4m in a kitchen for instance, then the m2 price wouldn't feed both our families so I charge day rate for the two of us:8:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If we are doing just 4m in a kitchen for instance, then the m2 price wouldn't feed both our families so I charge day rate for the two of us:8:

And you get the jobs :dizzy2: 'kin 'ell, I'm either doing it too fast or I need to up the price :lol:

D

doug boardley

often thought if it's worth my wife becoming a partner, albeit on paper for tax purposes. Talk to your partner tho' as he may be tinking the same as yourself and a lack of communication could have devastating effects on both your personal and professional relationship:smilewinkgrin:

G

graham1708

And you get the jobs :dizzy2: 'kin 'ell, I'm either doing it too fast or I need to up the price :lol:

LOL!! I know?!?! I do try and price fairly, we don't make a great deal of money but I know even if a job takes me a day or two longer on my own I could lower my price and still make more than I do now.

W

White Room

I find if I'm working on my own I get more done, if there's someone else to much talk which slows me down

G

graham1708

often thought if it's worth my wife becoming a partner, albeit on paper for tax purposes. Talk to your partner tho' as he may be tinking the same as yourself and a lack of communication could have devastating effects on both your personal and professional relationship:smilewinkgrin:

I agree with you, the only thing is, he can get some work as his brother has a building site but I don't think he has got the confidence to go it alone.

I'm starting to think I have no option but to go on my own as bad as it sounds. I hope I don't come across as greedy.

D

doug boardley

who gets what if/when you split up? it means somewhere another tiling kit has to be found, you'll likely end up pricing against each other in a work shy climate, if you're doing ok at the mo, keep it going and don't rock the boat to much,it may be you that falls overboard!

G

graham1708

who gets what if/when you split up? it means somewhere another tiling kit has to be found, you'll likely end up pricing against each other in a work shy climate, if you're doing ok at the mo, keep it going and don't rock the boat to much,it may be you that falls overboard!

This is another problem I own the van paid for it myself. The tool are not shared eg. I paid for dry cutter, he paid for wet cutter and the same for all the other tools. I don't ask for anything towards the up keep of the van only fuel cost.

I would feel terrible leaving him without transport but I've been told by others not to let my heart rule my head but I find it hard not to.

W

White Room

What if it was on the other foot and he had decided to go on his own, works both ways and your've got to do your own thing

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Alls fair in love and business...........whatever that means :mad2::incazzato:

I can't see how you can survive on your average job.......2 bods crowding each other out in a 6x6 lavvy.

He'll survive :thumbsup:

G

graham1708

What if it was on the other foot and he had decided to go on his own, works both ways and your've got to do your own thing

At th mo the understanding is; if he found somthing better (income) I think he would take it.

I don't really see us competing for work in the future as I don't think he will do a lot on his own. He is a good tiler but I feel he is too slow and sometimes holds me up.

I'm more worried about his predicament than my own if i decide to go alone.

Reply to Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks