Search the forum,

Discuss Outdoor Tiles Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rustylt2

I have a job coming up to replace cracked tiles in a patio area outside a house. The broken tiles are randomly distributed throughout the huge patio area. They are the rustic red coloured porcelain type about 4" square. I will have to remove all the broken tiles and clean the concrete surface before laying the new tiles and my question is what type of adhesive to use and are there any special procedures or sealers required for this job? The patio area is only about 30 yards from the sea if the salt air makes any difference.

Hope you can shed some light!

Thanks.

V

Varley

As far as I am aware I think you just treat it like it was an indoor concrete floor, reamove tile, prime surface and tile with flexi adhesive. I'm sure someone will give you a more definitive answer.

G

grumpygrouter

I have a job coming up to replace cracked tiles in a patio area outside a house. The broken tiles are randomly distributed throughout the huge patio area. They are the rustic red coloured porcelain type about 4" square. I will have to remove all the broken tiles and clean the concrete surface before laying the new tiles and my question is what type of adhesive to use and are there any special procedures or sealers required for this job? The patio area is only about 30 yards from the sea if the salt air makes any difference.

Hope you can shed some light!

Thanks.
Could they be quarry tiles?

G

GazTech

clean up prime with Bal apd and tile in Bal rapid flex,standard wj grout will be ok

D

DHTiling

It might be wise to grout the whole area as patch grouting will be different shade to the rest.....i would put a flexi additive into the grout to cope with thermal changes and salt erosion.......dave..

R

rustylt2

Cheers for the replies. Regrouting the whole area would be quite a task as it would mean removing the old grout from 70 sq m of 4" x 4" tiles! Will ask the customer if she wants that doing. Would cost her a fortune though as I would be charging by the hour for labour rates.

D

DHTiling

Just a thought rusty mate...make sure you explain to customer that the repair work might dry different colour to the rest........dave..

C

Cliff Anger

i think you should use special outdoor adhesive and grout as normal adhesives are porous and will crack and debond when it freezes.

Reply to Outdoor Tiles Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen