Currently reading:
offsetting the price of a van against your tax

Discuss offsetting the price of a van against your tax in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Hi all

I'm looking into getting a new van using a lease purchase scheme, I realise that this can work out alot more expensive than buying outright but apparently you can set the monthly payment amounts to suit your earnings, also I understand that some of the cost of the van could be offset against tax for the first 3 years.
Does anyone know how much can be offset say on a £10,000 van. anyone bought a new van on here using a business lease or hired purchase? I'd be interested in your opinions.

Thanks
MAtthew

G

grumpygrouter

Yes I have done a purchase lease scheme - it is tax efficient and q good on the final sum repayment, although the monthly figure is higher. Precise % etc I dunno, well have forgotton the details. It would depend on turnover / size of firm to judge if its worthwhile. You have to be a VAT registered co. to be able to do leasing schemes btw.
Not strictly true that, it just means you can't reclaim any VAT if you are not registered.:thumbsup:

M

Matthew77

I'm a sole trader & not VAT registered. I started trading as a self employed tiler at the start of this year so i've no idea how much i'll earn in the first year.

Would getting a loan or hired purchase be a better option for me then?

Would someone be kind enough to explain how much of the cost of a van you could offset against your tax? (i read somewhere that its a percent of the vans value over 3 years). Although i'm looking into just leaseing a van i'd much rather own it if i can offset some of the value against my tax.

If anyone knows of any websites with info related to this that'd be handy too.

Thanks all for your replys

Matthew

Reply to offsetting the price of a van against your tax in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.