Search the forum,

Discuss Not a good day in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

My joiner has well and truely dropped the ball on a kitchen he has just finished fitting!

I went in and tiled the floor before he started and everything was good, checked the kitchen was not damaged, all the boxes were there that should have been. All the bits were there and nothing was damaged, which is a first!

This is where things start to go wrong. Most of the units had been fitted so it was time for worktops. This is the story i got from the labourer: the joiner put the jig on the top and started his first cut and then knocks the router off, takes it away and looks at the jig then the router. He hadn't put the guide bush in and wrecked the jig and a length of worktop. But the joiner phones me and tells me that the router had jumped out of the jig and had damaged the jig and the worktop. So i go out and have to buy a new jig and another length of worktop. Not a huge thing and the best of us make mistakes so i let it go and just made a joke about being more carefull.

Joiner phones me last night and tells me the kitchen is all fitted and ready for the back splash on Thursday and for me to check it over. All sounded like it was going well and he had got it finished a day ahead of time.

BUT!
Customer phones me this evening and explains that they had their new washing machine delivered but it won't fit in the gap left for it and after they have looked at the plans all of the base units have been fitted wrong and 500 doors have been used instead of 600 s on a corner either side of the cooker and the worktop should have been 140mm longer with spaces for dishwasher and washing machine to suit new ones not the old ones that they had (this was stated on the plan).

So now i have to buy 2 new lengths of worktop, 2 new doors, 2 lengths of plinth and i'm going to offer to tile their new conservatory for free as an appology. I'm Just glad they listened to me and had the floor tiled before the kitchen went in and not cut round the units!!

B

Bubblecraft

Totally feel for you mate. This is why I do the lot myself from drawings to the fit. I trust no one when it comes to standards & at the end of the day, it's my name against it if it goes Pete Tong. It's a shame it's worked out a costly mistake for you

A

AMtek

The joiner is normally really good, i'm putting it down to being just one of those jobs for him. I will be meeting him there in the morning to throw a tape measure and the drawings at him though.

I would do it all myself but i have far too much on to do it all myself. I have been trying to stick to just doing some of the tiling jobs and spending my time organising and quoting but i am still spending more time on the tools than i would like.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Whoah, that's a bad one, as I was going through your post I though you were going to say that he'd not set the units high enough for the appliances to comfortably slide under.

When I fit kitchens, once everything is ripped out I find the biggest wall and stick the plan on it and the 3D drawing so I can always take a look as I'm working and any other trades (if needed) are aware of whats going on.

A

AMtek

Thinking about it now, i'm not sure what exactly has gone wrong because the corner base units couldnt be dragged forward 140mm because the unit would stick out beyond the edge of the worktop or there would be a 140mm gap at the back of the worktop. and it can't have been 600 doors to go on because the units are both 1000. if the gaps for the appliances are wrong though it will have to be new worktops at least. Happy days......Not!

D

Deleted member 9966

I've had a rubbish day too. won't bore you with mine. but tomorrow is a new day, a chance to make things different.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thinking about it now, i'm not sure what exactly has gone wrong because the corner base units couldnt be dragged forward 140mm because the unit would stick out beyond the edge of the worktop or there would be a 140mm gap at the back of the worktop. and it can't have been 600 doors to go on because the units are both 1000. if the gaps for the appliances are wrong though it will have to be new worktops at least. Happy days......Not!

Let's face it, you've given him the plan for the next job :lol:

A

AMtek

Think my brain has given up for today, i can't make sense of that sentance! haha

The job will be sorted, i will leave them happy and the joiner will do a perfect job of the next one..or he will end up in a shallow grave after being smothered with a kitchen drawing!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
oops....joiner would be paying for that out his wages and rectifying it did you leave him drawings

mistakes yes we all make them......bombscares no lol

B

Bubblecraft

When I fit kitchens, once everything is ripped out I find the biggest wall and stick the plan on it and the 3D drawing so I can always take a look as I'm working and any other trades (if needed) are aware of whats going on.

That's exactly what I do

tupytuby.jpg
e8asy3yr.jpg
va6a5ypy.jpg
y7y3egu8.jpg

ry5e7ata.jpg
amabybe4.jpg

Reply to Not a good day in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen