Search the forum,

Discuss newbie question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pomm001

The grouting on my en-suite looks poor and starting to drop out in odd places. On closer examinatin a couple of the tiles when 'tapped' have a hoolow ring, so carefully pulled a couple off.
Some damp has got behind onto the skimmed drywall, pulled off all tiles until the skin was dry. The adhesive on the tiles just came off withou much effort.
The shower walls have dried off and i want to put the tiles back on and re-grout, i have had advised to use an acrilic PVA bonding agent first , i have some weber PVA PR370 would this be any good ? also what type of adhesive i have some weber rapid plus and some soverign super grip kicking about, any good

many thanks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
moisture, gypsum (finish skim) and cement (tile adhesive all together = ettringite formation = tiles falling off the walls. Acrylic primer generally won't prevent it unless numerous coats are used and only then if there is little or no moisture present.

To stop ettringite formation you need to elimiate at least one of these elements - preferably the damp cos it will also damage your walls.

PVA is no good as a primer and should not be used in tiling. A proper acrylic (not acetate) primer should be ok if you eliminate the damp.

If you can't eliminate the damp then ????

P

pomm001

Thanks for the info
Yes i have stopped the cause of the damp and the wall has dried
Interesting what you say about the PVA primer never being used, my local tile shop sold me this weber product a few weeks ago ( not for this job though)
So i need to get acrilic primer, any recomendations
thank you

2020Tiling

iam well happy after reading pva v primer ! i to didnt no that pva was the devils juice untill i joined hear :hurray: i think we should try and get it on news at 6 so everyone understands that pva has no purpose at all in any tiling situations . :mad2:

D

doug boardley

iam well happy after reading pva v primer ! i to didnt no that pva was the devils juice untill i joined hear :hurray: i think we should try and get it on news at 6 so everyone understands that pva has no purpose at all in any tiling situations . :mad2:
I agree Terry:20:

Reply to newbie question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen