Search the forum,

Discuss Natural Slate Sheera Modular in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

frogeye

Hi tiling experts

Has anyone had a problem using this stuff from Topps?
As in is it better than the b & q stuff that is always knocked?
Only for my own small utility room about 10m2
Is there a similar product but cheaper you would recommend?

frogeye (still retired)

ps forgot to add - will use the bal green screed adhesive - nice man at ctd doing it for £25

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theyomper

Have just laid about 30 m2 of sheera slate in a kitchen. I found no problems with it, if fact it was was of the easiest that I have laid for a long time. It is calibrated with very few variations in thickness. The pink shaded ones tend to be a little on the fragile side so just be aware of these. I'm back there tomorrow so I'll take and post some piccies......just to please Dave.
Once you get the pattern in your head it should be east peasy.

M

michel

slate is very dence stone and some subtrates are not (i.e Wood).
if you use a slow set the adhesive will "grab" the wood very quickly but will possibly not "grab" the slate as quick due to the 12-14 hours of curing.

if it slate on a cured screed then it is not as much of a problem (slow set)
however on a "green" screed it might be.

i have only a small amount of experience in the u.k as i come from south africa, but we use natural stones alot as they are just lying around the place (hehe).

which means i am not familiar with all the products on the u.k market!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

michel

woooooow, 100% coverage.

i have done a few jobs in the u.k since i have been here and the floors that have been created by the building companys i have worked for are not really flat or level, so i have followed the floor, but in order to avoid lippage i have thrown a few "dobs" of adhesive under a tile (large format generally) in order to keep the floor flat (not necc. level). am i doing somthing incorrect, as i will have to insist that the companys i am working for get thier floors reallly flat (between joins of ply etc.) and again not level but flat?
they might not like that.:mad2:

michel.

D

DHTiling

just laid some of this it all went down pretty sweet apart from the 20x20's were not one bit square and some of them a little too big (had to trim them down to follow the pattern) but apart from that not bad at all.

needpics.gif

J

johndriscoll

I have started to lay the same tiles. I agree a lot of the smaller tiles are not square. Is the only solution to cut them or do I have a case for returning them or is this normal for slate.
More importantley if laying a modular pattern of 2 200mm wide tiles laid next to one 400mm tile with the gap of 5mm between the 2 200s they will not line up IE total lenght 405mm next to 400mm This will happen all over the pattern so how do you solve this please

F

faithhealer

I have started to lay the same tiles. I agree a lot of the smaller tiles are not square. Is the only solution to cut them or do I have a case for returning them or is this normal for slate.
More importantley if laying a modular pattern of 2 200mm wide tiles laid next to one 400mm tile with the gap of 5mm between the 2 200s they will not line up IE total lenght 405mm next to 400mm This will happen all over the pattern so how do you solve this please

Afraid most (maybe all) moduler tiles are cut to nominal sizes. (ie no allowance for grout lines) So you have to compromise the grout lines to suit. Slate usually uses a wider grout line so it doesn't look too bad

Reply to Natural Slate Sheera Modular in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.