Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Mosaic Borders/bands in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

I was wondering what way would you guys would price splash back panels behind sinks that stop approx 250mm from the floor and ceiling, which consist of 300x600 tiles on their side with a band of thinner mosaics which need to be screeded flush obviously with the tile, either side and the whole lot trimmed with L shape aluminium trim and then above the bath wall again 300x600 on their side but with two vertical bands of mosaic again screeded flush. All work on building sites multiple units? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

L

LM

To be honest I can easily do one of the sink panels in an hour, which to me would mean I wouldn't be charging the builder enough for what they'd be getting

S

SJPurdy

To be honest I can easily do one of the sink panels in an hour, which to me would mean I wouldn't be charging the builder enough for what they'd be getting

Is that true in practice though?
You put up the column of 600 x 300 tiles (easy) (include drilling for pipes?)
Then fix trim in position,
then screed between trim and fixed tiles to leave thickness of mosaic and thin bed of adhesive;
Then wait for that adhesive to set!!!
Then fix mosaic;
Then when that has set grout it.

Ok if there are several ready to be done and you can flit between them, doing different stages, so you have constant work.

S

Spare Tool

Would it not be easier to use a mosaic mesh backing sheet, cost more overall than dog tooth method but much less faff..

L

LM

Is that true in practice though?
You put up the column of 600 x 300 tiles (easy) (include drilling for pipes?)
Then fix trim in position,
then screed between trim and fixed tiles to leave thickness of mosaic and thin bed of adhesive;
Then wait for that adhesive to set!!!
Then fix mosaic;
Then when that has set grout it.

Ok if there are several ready to be done and you can flit between them, doing different stages, so you have constant work.

I don't wait for the adhesive to set before fitting the mosaic, I screed or "dog tooth" to a depth that allows the mosaic to be patted into the adhesive, which is a tight mix, although just wet enough to still have transfer onto the sheets of mosaic, but stiff enough to hold the weight , which to be honest isn't that much. Then if I'm honest I don't get the grouting done in that application, I carry on with other work in the house and come back to the grouting at a later stage, but the grouting of a panel only takes about five minutes anyway. I spread a bit of adhesive to the back of the trim and hold them in position with a pin at the outer edge of each corner and a couple down the length and remove them before grouting, incase you where wondering how I managed to dog tooth with trim that hasn't set.

L

LM

Would it not be easier to use a mosaic mesh backing sheet, cost more overall than dog tooth method but much less faff..

I find the way I do it is quick and efficient and you still have to screed a certain depth for the mosaic and plastic sheet anyway, I'm very satisfied with the final product that I leave, it's a solid job that looks spot on every time, I'm just wondering if I'm charging the same as what you guys would charge for a similar end product. Other guys I know can take up to two hours, or if their leaving the bed for the dog tooth to dry, even longer to do the same job as me, I've just got my procedure down to a tee.

L

LM

What about mosaic borders set into the main field per linear metre?
I don't charge any extra at the minute for that , but I'm bound to be doing myself in?

Reply to Mosaic Borders/bands in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks