Search the forum,

Discuss Moistsure backer board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stevielusk

Hi all,

i am currently looking for a tile backer board for around bath/shower

I am just wondering if anybody has had experiences with this product?

Wont let me post link... It is a tile backer board called Moistsure by a company, resistant building products.

My local building merchants sell this stuff but they only seem to sell a thickness of 6mm, my question is do you think this would be thick enough to support ceramic tiles 25x40cm?

thanks for you time.

P

Peter

Hi Stevie, just down the road from you in Whiteabbey.

Use the 6mm quite a bit, it's ideal for overboarding walls and floors. Just spread a 6mm bed and screw every 6 inches. It's not as good as No More Ply or Hardiebacker but then it's half the price but still better than ply etc. It will be fine for walls if you're screwing over ply. Needs tanked for wet areas and needs to be primed in general. The Resistant Multi Pro is the same product in bigger sheets which comes in 12mm as well which would be fine for boarding straight onto stud work. It can all be cut with a Hardie knife or hand saw, and the grinder is handy for cutting curves, checks etc.

Kirks do the 6mm 4x4 sheets for a pretty penny. Means customers actually go for the backer boards these days which is great, as Hardie Backer/NMP can price you out of a job very handy.

R

Rookery

I'd be inclined to use 10mm Wedi as its light, easy to cut n fix, takes a good weight and is waterproof so no tanking needed.

P

Peter

This is Northern Ireland though, if you're lucky enough to source some Wedi then you'll need to remortgage your house to pay for it. Backer boards are scarce here and expensive compared to the mainland so fair play to Resistant for making one locally at a competitive price.

R

Rookery

Sorry I didnt notice your location. I'm surprised that backerboards are hard to get hold off there. Have you got electricity yet? :lol:
Do you have Jewsons over there, they sell Hardie over here.

W

White Room

Sorry I didnt notice your location. I'm surprised that backerboards are hard to get hold off there. Have you got electricity yet? :lol:
Do you have Jewsons over there, they sell Hardie over here.[/QUOTE]

At there prices they think there the Harrods of building materials.

Reaction score
take a look at the underfloor heating store on ebay used them a few times. 1200mm x 600mm available 6 and 12mm work out about £6 each with free delivery. if you buy enough. can get fixing clips cheaper else were but

S

Stevielusk

Thanks for the quick reply folks,

it will be fixed to a stud wall.

For the floor I was just going to tile over a 12 or 18mm wbp ply that was fixed every 6inches would you recommend going for a lighter ply and then backer board?

There also seems to be a lack of knowledge about backer boards as I got a few strange looks when I asking about them in a few tile shops I went into to price. Was told a few times just to tile over marine ply.

i will have a look on eBay, but it seems with a lot of sellers selling large items, there always seems to be a discloser stating "can't be delivered to Northern Ireland".

Reply to Moistsure backer board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen