Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Misaligned Tile Job - Acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Is this tile job acceptable?

I had 2 bathrooms replaced in my house and have had problems from the beginning. I paid quite a bit for the work, the most expensive quote I got, hoping for a good job.

The 1st bathroom the floor had patterned tiles which were terribly mismatched. Tiler blamed everything but himself. Eventually he knocked out the worst floor tiles and 'fixed' them - job when from bad to not so bad. I accepted a compromise on the floor expecting better on the 2nd bathroom.

2nd bathroom wall tiles are misaligned, especially at corners. Grout was also patchy and insert is lob sided, very noticeable with 5mm difference in depth right to left. Bathroom fitter came back and put extra thick lines of sealant in corners to 'hide' issue (not shown in images). He has offered less than a 1.5% discount on his fee for 2nd bathroom job and says it can't be fixed. I owe just over 10% of job as final payment. Would be interested in expert opinion. Thanks.

20210504_133713.jpg

20210504_133716.jpg

20210504_133724.jpg

20210504_133758.jpg

20210504_133805.jpg

20210504_133811.jpg

20210504_133824.jpg

20210504_133854.jpg

20210504_133902.jpg

20210513_151315.jpg

M

Michael Kinder

That's not a good finish, I feel for you. It reads like you've contracted separately with a bathroom fitter and a tiler, with the tiler not previously known to you. This is inherently risky. There's an old saying: responsibility cannot be shared. If you can, best to choose one man and leave a healthy chunk of the contract until the end to make sure you get the result you're happy with, backed up by a decent warranty.

Reaction score
Poor setting up of levels and lack of care. The niche trim is not how it should be done, they should be 45 deg mitre corners. Sorry you have paid good money for this.

S

Sandbb

If I paid top dollar I wouldn't be happy with this. It looks a bit sloppy, I'd be ok if it was a bargain job. You can minimize the look of misaligned tiles by changing the color of the grout to be the same color as the tiles if you want. There are grout colorizers (just mix some of the grout and let dry on a spare tile or something to test it). At very least I'd probably keep the 10%.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Poor setting up of levels and lack of care. The niche trim is not how it should be done, they should be 45 deg mitre corners. Sorry you have paid good money for this.
Can I ask why the trim has to apparently be a 45 degree mitre cut ?? Surely if using that trim you should ask customer what they prefer ?? I didn't know there was a rule for how flat edge trim has to be cut and fixed

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
If I paid top dollar I wouldn't be happy with this. It looks a bit sloppy, I'd be ok if it was a bargain job. You can minimize the look of misaligned tiles by changing the color of the grout to be the same color as the tiles if you want. There are grout colorizers (just mix some of the grout and let dry on a spare tile or something to test it). At very least I'd probably keep the 10%.
Job is not great , but the tiles don't look great quality either !!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can I ask why the trim has to apparently be a 45 degree mitre cut ?? Surely if using that trim you should ask customer what they prefer ?? I didn't know there was a rule for how flat edge trim has to be cut and fixed

It’s not mandatory or anything but not mitring looks rushed and smacks of diy

Reply to Misaligned Tile Job - Acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock