Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Loft boards?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tiler Blackpool

can anyone advise on tiling onto solid and sturdy loft boards?
got to measurse a job up tomorrow on a new extension and its boarded with loft boards.sort of compressed chipboard.seems really solid though and thick, around an inch.doesnt seem to have any movement.
my thoughts maybe be ok if primed first?
thanks guys

L

Leatherface

can anyone advise on tiling onto solid and sturdy loft boards?
got to measurse a job up tomorrow on a new extension and its boarded with loft boards.sort of compressed chipboard.seems really solid though and thick, around an inch.doesnt seem to have any movement.
my thoughts maybe be ok if primed first?
thanks guys

Over board with 9mm ply
or No More Ply Sheets
or use Ditra Matting fixed with flexi adhesive with latex additive instead of water.
Would not advise tiling straight on top of loft boards

L

Leatherface

Could try the bal fastflex, they do single part fastflex now

I do not dispute that many manufacturers make adhesive that in theory will do the job. Just a bit iffy about chipboard myself. Would rather go for the belt and braces approach, then I am confident there will be no comeback.
Regards

T

Tiler Blackpool

thanks very much for the advice. think il price for boarding it just to be on the safe side as theres a washing machine and dryer being put on them as its a utility room. i usually use the 6mm backerboard from topps for about 9 quid a sheet.always does the trick for me.anything else is just too thick, although i have seen the ditra matting.....might give that a whirl.
thanks guys, much appreciated.:hurray:

D

david campbell

don't want to pu a dampner on this job but it would be worthwhile checking out the weights allowed to tile there from someone in the know how cos i take it,you will be covering a decent sized area

O

Olz

I've spent the afternoon boarding out my loft, completley irrelevant to this tread, but it was well worth the £100 paid out for the loft boards, it's amazing how much storage space you gain when you dont have to perch stuff across beams.

T

Tiler Blackpool

its around 1m x 5m so not a major area.was thinking of priming first, then backerboarding then tiling.any water spillages shouldnt get anywhere near the actual loftboard?

Reply to Loft boards?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks