Search the forum,

Discuss Little help (your opinions please) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stu-180

Just doing a mates kitchen for him (walls) and he asked my advice on a floor problem -

Basically what to do with the step in the photo -

The cream tiles butt upto the step (hence the reason they haven't gone over it.
Im really not sure what to suggest to him ...... other than getting my SDS out and destroying it lol

Anyone have any bright ideas ??

Step.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That adhesive looks new under the tiles there, you sure you didn't tile the floor too? haha

I'd cut it out, a nice neat cut at either end, then make it into a ramp-type block of wood (triangular - so it runs down from the cream to the black) and stick it back in situ and tidy it up. Would look nice stained or whatever. Looks like the wood is keruing to me. A nice dark wood when varnished. You can use teak oil on it too if you wanted.

Failing that, chisel it enough to tile over with the cream tiles and create a tiled step. Bit of a maul but it'd look nice and finished off I guess.

S

stu-180

Funny enough he did ask me to tile the floor but wanted 30+ meters doing over christmas but my misses wasn't to keen for me to working so he went else where.... some how I have been roped into doing his walls for him (as a favor ...). Glad I didn't do the floors, they was in a shocking state, they had those old thick terracotta recessed into the concrete (but sat proud a few mm .....) dotted about all over the place.

I like the sound of making a little wooden ramp/angle, Im sure he would go for that, just wants something to tidy it up really, I suggested maybe painting it with some hardwearing floor paint but he wasn't keen.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Noooo don't paint it with floor paint it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Really it should be the guy's job that did the floor. But I do understand getting roped into things I still get roped into tiling every now and again, and I don't even have tools anymore! Gave them away so I could use that as an excuse and it still doesn't work, I get the 'oh I've got an old trowel somewhere and we can rent a cutter' grrrrrrr.

A fein multimaster should be able to cut that out quite neatly leaving just 1 or 2mm gap at either end to fill in afterwards. Clearly cutting it on a still saw would be easiest and quickest to get the angle neat. A brand new hand saw if you haven't got access to one of those though. Then sand it down a lot so it's nice a smooth.

S

stu-180

So bright orange paint is a No-No then ?? lol

Will let him know about the wood plan, im sure he will be happy with that, should look nice and neat when done.
To be fair to the other bloke who did the floor, he did say he would be happy to take out the block but for some reason my mate was half asleep and said "just leave it" ... (he blames a hang over!) so now muggings has been lumbered.

Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

If the floors had been done properly they could have been lined up in the joints and just been tiled through.
It's a mess and I'd not get involved.

M

Mike

is that laminate in the other side of the doorway? if it were tiles i'd lower the step a little and tile it in the black tiles

S

stu-180

If the floors had been done properly they could have been lined up in the joints and just been tiled through.
It's a mess and I'd not get involved.

Wouldn't have been possible to line them up as the step is about 4mm higher than the cream tiles.
If the bloke had lined up the grout lines it would have left a 15mm (ish..) cut at the front door so he's pulled it back to give a decent half tile as you step in the front door.

There was originally laminate flooring down (where the cream is now), the black tiles were down and the cream was an after thought, if my mate had mentioned to the guy that he intended to have it done Im sure the the fella would have tied it all in, but my mate is a seriously laid back fella !! lol

Im going to have a crack at breaking that bad boy out with the help of my sds, and then drop a nice piece of wood in there, will post a pic when im done.

If i don't , it probably means I just packed up and run off !! lol

P

Peter

If it was me, I'd kango a bit out of the step and tile it. Not sure how you would line it all up to look like anything though, unless you used a black riser, white tread and a bit of right angle trim.

Reply to Little help (your opinions please) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen