Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Levelling Ground Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

adibell

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel this forum has some really smart and helpful people who could give great advice...

Our ground floor is made up of quarry tiles cemented directly onto the concrete slab in the hall and kitchen, and then suspended timber in the living room and dining area. We had a wall removed so now it’s an open plan between kitchen and dining area, so now there’s a difference in level where the timber is lower than the QTs, sloping from ~5mm to ~20mm lower. We want to level the entire downstairs floor so we can lay laminate throughout, keeping things as simple and affordable as possible. Digging the whole lot out isn’t really a route I want to go down.

I’ve seen lots of different techniques to combine but nothing seems to be the ‘golden ticket’ answer. So, here’s my current plan, please critique or add recommendations as to whether this should/shouldn’t work and point out if I’m missing something:

1. From what I can tell there’s no DPC below the QTs, so I need to apply one over the top. I was thinking liquid epoxy DPC.

2. Prime the suspended wood floor areas

3. Apply tile backer boards with tile cement over the timber floor areas. Fix at 300mm centres. Maybe use thicker boards where the floor is greater in difference, giving a stepped level closer to the quarry tiles. Not sure if this is ill-advised rather than just using thicker SLC at one end of the level difference?

4. Seal gaps around the edges of the backer boards where they meet the walls using sealant gun to stop SLC escaping.

5. Prime over the top of the tile backer boards with SBR

6. Apply SLC throughout the entire downstairs area. Get someone to help mixing batches of it whilst I spread it.

7. Apply underlay and laminate to [hopefully] lovely flat surface throughout.

Does this sound like it would work, or is it the ramblings of a madman? Is there a simpler option I’m missing?

Thank you in advance!

Reply to Levelling Ground Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock