Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is there a range of professional and non professional Sigma tile cutters in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,
I have a Sigma 66cms 2B3 tile cutter (I normally do small jobs, standard size tiles) but found difficult cutting a specific porcelain tile last week ( 80 x 24cms, about 11mm thick, cuts not straight or shipping on some when cutting the length), no issue with any ceramic tiles I have come across.
A tiler I was working with told me Sigma has a range of cheaper tile cutters (and mine was one of those) and a range of professional tile cutters ( wider cutters, sharper breaking bar underneath, better spring underneath etc), he show me the difference on his which is about 15 years old, a model which must have been replaced since.

I have decided to buy a new cutter for around 95cms but the cutters I find are all the same ( no DIY model VS pro model), I would imagine at this size they are all targeting professionals, would that be correct? Here is one for example: SIGMA cm 95X95 Art 3D4 Tile Cutter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIGMA-95X95-3D4-Tile-Cutter/dp/B081QW7J6L/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Any advice on which such cutter is best would be appreciated.

D

Dumbo

Your cutter has a breaking force of 800 kg whereas something like a 3c3m has a force of 1200kg .
As said before both are professional cutters , it could just be a bad batch of tiles , you should be able to cut this tile with your cutter but before you spend your hard earned cash try the tile on a different cutter

L

LM

As said above Sigma tile cutters are all professional. The height of your bar is very important but so too is your scoring wheel. Is it in good condition and moving easily? Do you hear a clean crisp scoring noise when you score the tile?

Some tiles are simply hard to cut and may have been manufactured wrong. Scoring the tile and then grinding to the side of the score line is often the only way to cut them without a wet saw.

OP
oli26-7
Reaction score
Thanks to all.
I am not able to adjust the height of the bar on this cutter and it is pretty new so the wheel should be OK, it does make a crisp sound on scoring, how deep of a score should I make on harder tiles to cut?
I was working with ceramic of 8mm today and one score, no problem at all, I seem to be struggling with the thicker, porcelain particulary.

L

LM

Thanks to all.
I am not able to adjust the height of the bar on this cutter and it is pretty new so the wheel should be OK, it does make a crisp sound on scoring, how deep of a score should I make on harder tiles to cut?
I was working with ceramic of 8mm today and one score, no problem at all, I seem to be struggling with the thicker, porcelain particulary.
The score should just be enough to hear the right noise. You may simply have a batch of crap tiles that are too hard to work with.

Reply to Is there a range of professional and non professional Sigma tile cutters in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock