Currently reading:
Is the work picking up? Are you busy?

Discuss Is the work picking up? Are you busy? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

My suggestion was to help you grow from a small business into one, where you had another tiler working with you on site, in the first instance. If you can complete a six week job in three weeks, then you do not lose customers. It would also mean that you would have more time to spend with the family.

Anne

I think if I could find the right person that would be a good call, the problem in my experience is, all the good tilers are busy so aren't available to help out. I'd love to find a hardworking conscientious tiler who could help me grow my business, maybe one day I'll find him/her.

A

aphilp

There are tilers, with family commitments and mortgages to pay, who welcome the opportunity of tiling and getting paid on a Friday, without the hassle of quotes, paperwork and the grief over money. From my experience, our best tilers work for us because of the standard and spec of the work and good prices. I am going to post some photographs today of some of our recent work.

If you ever decide to grow your business, I will gladly give you some advice

Best Wishes

Anne

S

SCCB

Yes I can agree on everones quotes/oppions as a sole trader my self it was difficult to keep exesting contacts and make new ones when there is only so many hours in the day. If only I could of coned myself. When I was on my YTS the fixer I was working with was always requested by previous custoners. After a couple of years of me working with him and learning the trade it wasn't long before I was excepted by the customers he had been working with.
This is the long road, and the potenctial for training someone up and then them leaving once they have some exteriance is of course not the end result you would want.
Also finding the right young person with the right attitude willingness to learn and learn from the bottom up is, well they are few and far between. But they are out there..
I teach them every year...

S

Stef

I've slowed down over the past few weeks, I've got 5 decent door steps to do & can't get to them for this weather.
Waiting on a plasterer for another job & waiting on other trades at 2 houses to finish before I can start my bit.
Been quite good though as it's given me the time to get other things sorted out, waiting on a new tenant going into our flat & getting my garden eventually sorted out so I'm not complaining.
Oh & got 2 days Salmon fishing up at Pitlochry at start of the week.

P

Peter

My suggestion was to help you grow from a small business into one, where you had another tiler working with you on site, in the first instance. If you can complete a six week job in three weeks, then you do not lose customers. It would also mean that you would have more time to spend with the family.

Anne

Agree wholeheartedly. Best business decision I ever made was to start bringing another tiler to jobs with me. Why turn down work when you can do it all to the same high standard in a third of the time and make a few quid extra on your day rate.

Reply to Is the work picking up? Are you busy? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement