Search the forum,

Discuss Is it ok to ply or backer board?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

monty

Hi peeps

Customer wants me to price a bathroom floor including mats....the substrate is currentley carpet to floorboards..He doesn't want to move the toilet or sink..Is it ok to ply or backer board it without moving the toilet or sink..Any advice much appreciated.

monty

G

Gazzer

You can tile with them in situ but i woould rather not. If you do dont forget to allow extra time/costs for the cutting. Generally can more time to cut the tiles than the rest of the room.
I would also suggest that he removed the items or a plumber then you have no worries.

They look awful tiled around IMHO

M

monty

You can tile with them in situ but i woould rather not. If you do dont forget to allow extra time/costs for the cutting. Generally can more time to cut the tiles than the rest of the room.
I would also suggest that he removed the items or a plumber then you have no worries.

They look awful tiled around IMHO

Yes i'm going to suggest to him to have them removed, Is backer board easy to cut around the toilet? And how long would you allow to board and tile around them.Is one day plenty?

Many thanks

G

Gazzer

Backer board cuts easy in straight lines but not so easy to cut without breaking with curved cuts, A jigsaw would be ok but i still say take them out.
Cant say how long it would take without all details, tiles and measurements.

G

Gazzer

Then all i could say is that i would easily be able to complete in a day but i dont know how you work.

M

monty

Then all i could say is that i would easily be able to complete in a day but i dont know how you work.

Thanks for the advice sir ramic....It would probably take me 2 days then as im still awaiting my first paid job..

Monty

G

Gazzer

I said easily, So i reckon with the pan etc out you will do that in a day no problem.
To give you and idea, i recently cut around a pan and pedestal and those cuts took about 40 minutes all in. They were large tiles though and the cutting was perfect. I also had to cut the tiles in the garage as the carpets had just been laid.

M

monty

Would i have to wait for the adhesive to dry under the backerboard before i laid the tiles?

Monty

Reply to Is it ok to ply or backer board?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen