Search the forum,

Discuss I'm glad we're not building them this way anymore in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob Z

THis is what we demo'd for the last two days. A bathroom, 80 years old, 4' X 7', shower to about 7', wainscotting around the walls to about 4', tile and mud about 2 1/2" thick on the walls and up to 6-7" thick in places on the floor.:yikes: I'll know once it goes across the scales at the dump, but I estimate this small bathroom had about two tons of tile and mud in it. :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

working on something similar at the moment in a place called strathaven,the house was built in 1934 and it's a total refurbishment job,everything is being ripped out and brought into the 21st centuary.before this i had never seen walls that had an inch of plaster on them(total mess when wraggling the new electrics)
as you say your glad they don't build them like that anymore,it makes everything twice as hard and the problems :yikes:you come across are unbelievable:lol:

R

Rob Z

Timeless John...LOL

Here are two more...the fluted block on the exterior had some black asphaltic stuff parged on it, and the mud wasn't bonded to it at all....there was about a 1/4" gap between the mud on the walls and the block. I've never seen block behind mud and plaster parged with anything before, so that was a new one for me.

Overall, this house is extremely well-built. My customer found in the city records the original permit on file from 1932, with the builder's name, the architect, and the cost new ($16,000).

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Doug, the plaster was heavily laden with horse hair, and extremely well-done, strong, and almost completely free of cracks. Even with all the banging and demo going on in the bathroom, the plaster on the other side of the two walls stayed tight and solid.

D

doug boardley

not questioning the structures integrity Rob, just a bellyache carrying all that mud up to a bathroom!:lol::thumbsup:

W

White Room

I do like the old methods, they have a place but theres keeping the new and old separate.

Reply to I'm glad we're not building them this way anymore in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen