Search the forum,

Discuss Hows the work situation update.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Fitness first have a stop on all refurb except emergencys, no-one is selling cars so no new builds, marks and spencer have stopped all non essential maintenance. A civil engineering company that I subby for have laid 6 off, no-one is building anything. I do a bit for temples property management and I have a few in the offing with them, to be honest if I got just 2 of those it would give me 2 months work. I have an 80 mtr trav with ufh, everything is there, just waiting for the customer (my mate) to get some money in.
It will come back.

:8:

D

david campbell

It's not dave...but this builders idea of a wetroom wasn't mine...

All i can say is a cheese grating trampoline springs to mind...:mad2:...so it was a no go...but apart from that..i am booked into november...

I just hope you guys are picking up as well as it was quiet earlier in the year.

better to walk away now mate,especially if it looks like one of those:mad2: situations,sounds like he knows how to do your job better than you:drool5:

D

DHTiling

better to walk away now mate,especially if it looks like one of those:mad2: situations,sounds like he knows how to do your job better than you:drool5:

The builder knows me better but i reied not to leave him in the lurch and actually contacted a couple tilers on here to see if they could squeeze it in once he sorted it, but he sems to have found someone...so you loose some , you win some...but i won't cut corners...wish i had took pics..:smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

trying to visualise a cheese grating trampoline, sounds painful:20:

18mm ply onto joist on hangers..no noggins at wall sides or centres.

wall tanking...:lol: if you call it that was one lash over of ardex kit but you could see through it and the taping in the corners had no tanking on it...

So all in all it was a bouncy trampoline floor with cheese grater walls...:smilewinkgrin:, he rang me back an h our later to say he had sorted it...:lol:..

I refused to go back and hence giving him time to do it right and i tried to get a tiler from tilers forums as i didn't have time to go back...as it needed 3 days and after his cok up i didnt have the days...

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
got three days next week then nothing til the 28th. Been round all the local tile shops today and they say they have been deathly quiet for the past two weeks. I guess it is because it is end of school hols so should start picking up soon. This is the first time I have been this quiet since I started up. I know things will turn up, but I am beginning to worry, so will be trawling the car parks in the DIY sheds etc soon (looking for work, not any other pervy reason....honest!)

B

brian c

persimmon homes have started building again but tiling now comes as an extra,so trying to get my foot in the door as i want to deal with the customers if possible but not Persimmon themselves.Just plodding away but got three big jobs (REFITS)start one on Thursday,still got three sets of steps to do...ticking over ,thankfully :thumbsup:Just ordered new flyers and cards as going to hit the pavements.

i have noticed more houses for sale and sold signs on them recently,so that must be good,need to keep at it and as they say ' fortune favours the brave!' :smilewinkgrin:

D

david campbell

just had an idea, been trying to think of firms that deal with people moving in new propertys,wanting their own decor, removal firms, looked in yellow pages ,ive got 8 locally,so ill be phoning monday to c if will hand out cards:thumbsup:gotta be worth a go

some people won't hand out your cards unless they have seen your work,so i would maybe take a portfolio round to them:thumbsup:

L

LM Ceramics

to be honest struggling at the moment especially around here 2 kitchens compnaies i work with arent doing so well and a builder aswell is dead with anyway tiling work and the phone aint ringing ive done alot of leaflet dropping in the last few months and rund around a few firms to be honest ive contamplated asking for a job with i tiling firm i know i didnt want to work for anyone else but its regular money

the main reason im panicking is im being prompted to move out by the parents im hoping it will pick up the signs are there but alot of other tilers im talking too are really quite at the moment preston isnt doing that well so far

L

LM Ceramics

Lee

come and move to Stoke. By the signs of my job posting a couple of weeks ago, there's a serious shortage of quality tilers in Stoke-on-Trent :lol:

And houses are competively priced :thumbsup:

Liz

funnily enough liz ive got family in stoke! it seems like some areas are doing alright and some arent i think preston and chorley is struggling mainly due to the amount of tilers there are

S

Smithy153

I've only been set up a couple of months but have been steady since I started. Got 50m2 of travetine to grout and seal, or seal, grout and seal to be accurate. Then nothing. Went to do a quote this evening for an en-suite bathroom. First time i've had to quote against other tilers all work so far has been recommends. Guy found my website on google so shows the effort I put into making it is paying off.

Pretty nerve racking though having to wait to hear though. Guess its easier if you have plenty of work on or have been doing it a while. Makes you realise how you could be the greatest tiler in the world but rubbish salesperson and people would never find out.

P

peckers

I havent had any tiling work for 6 weeks, all the local tile shops are dead, The small builders i sub contract to havent been doing much either, I have been 50 miles away asking in those tile shops and they havent got much either.
Hopefully it will get better, if not then I will have to start looking and travelling further afield and get b+b
Not much down here on the devon/cornwall border:mad2:

Reply to Hows the work situation update.? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers? I'll tell you a funny story about how I got a job with Topps Tiles Newcastle and got top sales...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.