Currently reading:
how long will it last 5 mm ply

Discuss how long will it last 5 mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevemo

just thought i would put this up
did a job for a guy a month ago large travertine bathroom floor told him it needed over boarding and he insisted on using 5 mm ply nailed down with 25mm ring nails he said "thats how i did it in my last house and i worked fine"no mater wot i said about glueing and screwing 18mm board down he just wouldnt have it ,normally i would have just walked away but work is tight so ive told him i cant guarantie it and gone ahead and done it
i have exspected him on the phone by now to say grout is cracking but he hasnt
how long do you guys think this will last

S

SandyFloor

I look on it as a probability thing meaning if you use 5.5mm ply it's more likely to fail than 9.5mm which is more likely to fail than 18mm. Obviously as a pro you have to avoid the higher probability of failure. I've seen 5.5 mm ply tiled floors that have lasted years (not mine) though I will say the failures I've pulled up (and I've pulled up a lot) have usually been on 5.5mm and ocassionally 9.5mm ply mostly over floorboards. No point in worrying about it too much and put it down to experience.

T

tfs

I used 6mm ply on a small film set that I was building. I purchasde the ply then left in in the filming studio over night. When I returned the following day the boards were all severely warped and some very difficult to use. As this was just for a set I got away with it. (board were only being used to sheets some walls)

Bearing in mind this was only one night at room temp, imagine what could happen in a home and places with temperature change and moisture etc.

The only thing that may stop these board warping like mad is the weight of the tiles. If these boards warp at all the boards will just pop through the nails, staples or screws that were used to fix the board to the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to how long will it last 5 mm ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.