Search the forum,

Discuss How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical socket in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

Re: How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical so

I had a youtube vid that seems to have got lost in the cyber ether of how I use a jigsaw and tungsten carbide bit to get a square out of a tile, I tried to source it on youtube but it had been banned?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

oh......I can cut a perfectly neat hex the size of a 20p piece with an angle grinder........easy!

six cuts from the rear of the tile and a pin hammer!

thats ok then :) I can't......

D

Deleted member 1779

John yes its a very luxury development

(Here is a little video I put together)

[video=youtube;WWmIWITOmzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWmIWITOmzY[/video]

Some of the work is shocking! (And will NEVER get signed off)

I cant create a hex with an angle grinder !

Agree that a lot of big cuts can be dealt with by clever setout (as you can see on above pics they have created the tiles so that they can cut out three tiles)

And with Large Format Porcelain tiles if (God Forbid) You do have to try to take out the centre of the tile then angle grinding from the back IS I AGREE an option.

Just wanted to post up the options.

For example one thing we do to make that easier is drill 8mm holes into the tile so that you can see exactly where to grind up to when flipping the tile and working from the back.

They act as a reference point as well as a blade stop.

tile_drill14.jpg

If you drill 4 x tiny 8mm holes right through the 12mm thick porcelain then you have a handy reference point at the back of the tile.

Doug - Shame on you for having your video banned !!! :lol:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score

Grinder for me too especially on porcelain , easy to handle and does the job in minutes.

Of course holes in middle of tiles can be avoided by good setting out generally too.

Diggy

Setting out hasn't always been an option, one developer in particular wanted their jobs doing a certain way and that was that, so as you can imagine, it lead to some .... interesting cuts :)

O

Olz

I had a youtube vid that seems to have got lost in the cyber ether of how I use a jigsaw and tungsten carbide bit to get a square out of a tile, I tried to source it on youtube but it had been banned?

Like this Doug....

[video=youtube;Ia6nrt5Xk3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6nrt5Xk3g[/video]

D

Deleted member 1779

I did see that Youtube.

And yes Oli yes I think maybe thats the one Doug meant.

However.... A word of caution!

The bit can ONLY be used with soft wet tiles:

===================================================================================
This is thier website warning:

PLEASE NOTE: Suited for working all tiles which are able to absorb water for cooling.

Hard material such as stoneware* , marble or granite can not be worked. (*Porcelain tiles)

===================================================================================

(Our comments are in red)

398080_10151173556322014_570621830_n.jpg

S

stephenoneill

USING YOUR RUBI:smilewinkgrin: SCORE THE SQUARE FIRST THEN CUT FROM BEHIND AND TAP OUT THE BITS .THIS WAY THE CUT ON THE SURFACE IS VERY CLEAN AND PROFFESSIONAL LOOKING AS OPPOSED TO USING THE GRINDER.

G

Gazzer

Why shout ? Turn the Caps off .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

why anyone would waste the life time of a expensive drillbit drilling 4 holes in a tile when you can do it twice as quick with a grinder is just god dam madness,the man should be in a institute tied to a chair with a ski mask over his face,cccrrraaaazzyyyyyyyy

Reply to How do I drill a SQUARE hole into tile to install an electrical socket in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen