Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How best to conceal drill hole damage to enable removal of shower screen in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

chappedhands

We've just spent thousands installing beautiful tiling but hate our decision to hang a shower screen due to its chronic cleaning requirements. How best can we conceal the damage done to the tiles (we believe there are two drill holes, but don't know about markings from adhesive) so we can hang a curtain rod instead? The drill holes are not in alignment with the screen (3" off the vertical line of adhesive).

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
do oyu have a pic we can see?

also what kind of tiles and substrate are they onto please

oh and welcome lol

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome.. but...?

needpics.gif

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Depending on the location of the holes, you might be able to / want to use them to attach something like a bespoke towel rail / soap dishes etc, only thinking out loud here by the way.

OK, head shake, why not just replace the 2 tiles ..........D'oh

T

tfs

It depends on the type of finnish you are gonna expect.

If you need it flawless then replacements is best option. If you can live with small but noticable imperfections then you could try to match a sealant or grout to the holes and fill them or even as mentioned you may be able to cover with some tyoe of bathroom accesories.

I was on a repair job a few months back where a plumber had installed a shower tray wrongly and as a result the enclosure wasnt going to sit right. After removing the shower tray and installing the new one we were left with some holes that the plumber had drilled previously. We got away with filling them with a sealnt as the tiles were leapord print and you couldnt realy notice once the holes were filled so the finnished look wasnt compromised in this case.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Im with Faithhealer on this. Curtains are ok over baths but imo useless for trays/wet areas.

However if your desicion is made then depending on type of finish to tile the best option is to cut out the offending areas and replace.

Leapard print tiles???? :yikes::yikes:

C

chappedhands

On suite shower screen 2.jpg On suite shower screen 1.jpg

Thank you for being so kind with all your helpful responses.... I love this site!!

Above are two pictures of the problem shower screen so you can see the situation more clearly. We have installed travertine stone -- I think -- still looking for the receipt to make sure. The holes are very close to the side of the bath so I don't think a soap dish would work, but perhaps hooks could be put instead. Also, will the adhesive leave a mark? How hard is it for a professional tiler to replace the damaged tiles (how many hours of work to replace 2 tiles?).

C

chappedhands

I know shower curtains have a 'yucky' reputation in the UK -- sticks to your legs, is moldy, etc. In the North America they are different: you use an inner liner (like the UK shower curtains) and an outer curtain which is made of decorative fabric (and does not get wet). The outer curtain creates a vacuum effect and stops the liner curtains from moving while showering.

Toss the curtains in the washing machine every couple of weeks and -- hey presto -- they are never moldy!! Much less cleaning required than a shower screen where limescale creates misery.

Reply to How best to conceal drill hole damage to enable removal of shower screen in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks