Discuss hi people....long time no post...weyroc question with ply with ufh in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Sorry its been a while people but I'm flat out with work and after gaining so much knowledge from here within the first two years of trading I find myself needing to ask a couple questions.

The customer has been in the trade, something to do with concrete but wouldn't let on how he made his money (millions)

Anywho I have his whole house to do if I get this room right, which I will.

He is wanting me to tile a soon to be bathroom for his disabled daughter.

The floor is currently horrible old crack travertine, obviously laid straight on the weyroc.

I will be overboarding with ply, whatever size I recommend. Then the UFH then screeding the top.

How many of you out there tile without screeding. Is it a time consuming pain in the proverbial or relatively simple?

Do you always insist on screeding? What are the best UFH kits out there to tile onto without screeding?

Am I doing tilers justice in my practice of always screeding ? (selflevelling to some)

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi Cameron, first thing I would want to know, apart from it being weyrock sheets, is why the tiles have cracked, is there any deflection, any mat fixed ufh, you get the picture, find the cause. As for how to proceed, WBP ply, min 18mm, insulation boards, ( for less heat loss ) ufh, slc ( screed ) it is good practice to use a slc so as to protect the element from the trowel when spreading the adhesive.

M

Mike

Sorry its been a while people but I'm flat out with work and after gaining so much knowledge from here within the first two years of trading I find myself needing to ask a couple questions.

The customer has been in the trade, something to do with concrete but wouldn't let on how he made his money (millions)

Anywho I have his whole house to do if I get this room right, which I will.

He is wanting me to tile a soon to be bathroom for his disabled daughter.

The floor is currently horrible old crack travertine, obviously laid straight on the weyroc.

I will be overboarding with ply, whatever size I recommend. Then the UFH then screeding the top.

How many of you out there tile without screeding. Is it a time consuming pain in the proverbial or relatively simple?

Do you always insist on screeding? What are the best UFH kits out there to tile onto without screeding?

Am I doing tilers justice in my practice of always screeding ? (selflevelling to some)

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

I wouldn't tile straight on the ply, I would overboard the ply with a cement board, I always use slc over the ufh , I use mapei renovation screed, piece of cake to use and a quality finish

tapatalk on my HTC

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
The floor has cracked in my eyes due to no expansion joints being placed as this floors carries through the whole house with 1mm grout lines ! ! Also I would have used a decoupler!

This bathroom will have a door thresh as a non slip tile will be used.

Mike, with using all those products that must give one hell of a height difference. Remember, this girl is in wheel chair as she has no use of her legs so fluidity throughout is a must.

I will be tiling the rest of the house if I make a good job, goes without saying really! :)

So what sort of cost will that add to the job if I am putting all those products down.

I have never ever had a floor fail on me using the methods I do at the moment.

cheers

cameron

Last edited:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
18mm wbp ply, 6mm(minimum) cement/insulation board (sometimes bedded in with addy), ufh (encapsulated in slc), tile adhesive and tile - be sure to point out the step into your customers' bathroom, Wouldn't want you to lose out on all that other work cos he ends up in A+E one night.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wheelchair! - No chance.
If the weyroc is solid and deflection free and I was happy with it, I would screw and glue 6mm NMP, slc the UFH and then tile.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes mate

Reply to hi people....long time no post...weyroc question with ply with ufh in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay