Currently reading:
Help Removing Old Tiles

Discuss Help Removing Old Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bumblefoot

Any advice on removing difficult tiles welcome. I've got about one third of the old tiles off in my bathroom which have been there since the house was built in the sixties. Some came off relatively easy with a hammer a brick chisel but others just wont budge. I bought an sds drill and tile chisel but it doesn't do any good. It just crumbles the surface away and the bottom stays stuck like it's fused to the layer below. The tiles seem to be on about one inch of cement over a breeze block. I'm at the end of my tether. Red lots of ideas and watched loads of youtube videos but nothing works.

B

bumblefoot

thanks for the replies. My elbow's all out of grease.. Do you mean I should try going right back to the breeze block if that's what it is?
IMG_2122.JPG

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
EPSOM
The old plumbers use to carry them on their backs .. Nutters ..( maybe that's an old wives tale ... and they all have old wives...oops)
Yes.. Take a good club hammer .. Put some ear muffs on ..close the door... And start breaking it from the overflow all the way down the centre till it breaks in half.. Then into quarters .. Wear builders gloves and be careful.. Very sharp and jagged pieces occur.. Good luck... Oh .. Put something in to stop crap going into your waste pipe ..and be careful of your water feeds, not to damage them!

Reply to Help Removing Old Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement