Currently reading:
Help needed... Tiler error needs fixing

Discuss Help needed... Tiler error needs fixing in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Megan

Last week I got my kitchen tiled with metro tiles.

He had a day and a half to do the job as my kitchen designer booked him in. The first day he laid the tiles on the hob wall. The next day he laid the tiles by the sink and grouted the lot.

Little did I know, but he used a ready mixed adhesive that needed longer to dry. The tiles by my sink now all have yellow grout instead of white as the adhesive has bled through.

He’s coming back tomorrow to fix it and I have a few questions:

1. Does he need to removed all the grout on that wall or can he just do the problematic grout and regrout.
2. The joiner sealed the tiles on Monday where they meet the cabinet. Sadly the bottom row of tiles has been affected. Does he need to remove the sealant or can he grout on top?
3. If he removed the sealant, how long does the grout need to dry before resealing?

He seems to be a bit of a cowboy so I don’t want him to tell me what’s best as I think he’ll just want to take the easiest way out...

Thank you.

M

Megan

I’m not sure how much you can see it in the photos but hopefully you can see something.

I’ve decided to take the sealant off myself so it gets done neatly and then it’s ready to re-seal once the new grout has dried tomorrow.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Megan

Never had ready mix adhesive cause a problem , even when cheating and grouting same day , totally against the rules but never had that sort of problem in 30 years.
You can only bend the rules of you know what you're doing
He's an idiot for not doing all the tiling on the first day if he was coming back anyway
What do you think the problem could be in that case? Do you think regrouting the affected tiles will sort it?

Reply to Help needed... Tiler error needs fixing in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them professionally laid. At the time I asked if they needed sealing. The tiler told me since they were...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m putting down 800x800x10mm porcelain floor tiles. Floor area is 2m x 2.7m, 18mm chipboard. I added loads...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement