Search the forum,

Discuss help needed on the right course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

True Tiling

Not at all, there must be some naturals on your 2 week course. But for the many thousands of others who have worked hard and done the proper learning curve over 2 years, it's a real puzzle.

T

True Tiling

My comment on tiling a splashback is because every job is just as important as the other and needs to be tiled flat, level, plumb, square and balanced. It might be easy in your workshop rooms. In the REAL WORLD, joiners don't always fix the worktop level. Do you teach your students how to scribe a tile to an uneven worktop or how to draw a level line so as to compensate with packers and use a silicone sealant finisher to create an invisible finish? A "good job" as you say, is certainly in question with what you have written. Anyone can stick tiles onto a wall, for a Granny to pass it happily, but the day one of your students gets a gig in a really fussy couples house dealing with a £20/tile, on a complicated room, he's in MAJOR trouble...

T

True Tiling

Just checked out your website. Good look with those recommendations from your students!

A

Andrew Case

Just checked out your website. Good look with those recommendations from your students!

I think those recommendations are good too. They are just some of the ones ive seen. There are plenty around the internet on non affiliated sites too.

A

Arn Wheeler

how can you become a qualified tiler in 2 weeks....its a joke:mad2: i spent 2 years on an apprenticeship to get my nvq level2, diploma level 2, and city & guilds in doing apprenticeship. nothing against you 'rab glasgow' but its comical

A

Andrew Case

I haven't seen anyone say you are a qualified tiler after 2 weeks?! I personally wouldn't call myself qualified unless I had an NVQ or many years experience. Are you saying that the only way anyone should ever tile is if you do an apprenticeship? As there are a major lack of apprenticeships and a lack of those taking them, in 40 years when most of the tilers now are retired, what happens?
Are you bitter that there are some people who can tile and have set up business after a course, as I have established in an earlier post, yet you chose to do a full apprenticeship etc? There are a lot of people on this forum including a lot of the moderators who are supportive of new ones wanting to learn and who realise not everyone can turn back the clock, stop their lives, and do an apprenticeship.

A

Arn Wheeler

ha ha joker ,,funny because there are courses where you can be a tiler in 2weeks to 8 weeks. and what im saying is work out yourself...how can you learn every unit that covers tiling in a few weeks. and more so all 2 years work in in a few weeks.its like you get these people that become a plumber in a few weeks and guess what over a number of times now ive been to jobs where the plumbing is shocking all because they are fast tracked and learn the basics mate.thats how it is.and if you write to local tilers and contractors and explain your interests in tiling im sure there are apprenticeships available because its cheap labour for them.look around and contact tiler.i am supportive of new tilers think its a great trade and down near me theres a lack of them but tbh im not complaining because thats more work for me :thumbsup:

A

Andrew Case

You can't learn every unit. But most of the guys on here who have been tiling for years will admit they are still learning every day. Got to start somewhere. I can't do an apprenticeship as I have a mortgage, 2 kids etc etc. but I shouldn't be penalised and have the tiling police tell me not to try.
However, I'm different from some as I refuse to do a job that I can't do properly. If I only replace tiles and do simple splash backs while continually learning, that's fine. I'm doing a plastering course at gold trowel soon. No way will I be able to plaster as quick as a qualified guy, but again, if I can't do it well, I won't do it. I'll stick to small jobs and build from there. No one would be perfect after 2 weeks, but there are those who are crap after 4 years. Gotta try but be honest, reliable, work hard and ask questions.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm probaly gonna upset people now :),i served my time years ago and got some paperwork stating that i was a tiler(apparently now thats not worth a thing).
So apparently we all need an nvq now ,well i got mine in less than 30 minutes,an assesor came out took photos of my work asked me a few questions hey presto i got a level 2 nvq(certificate arrived yesterday)that shows that i am actually 6 months behind my apprentice who is starting his level 3 in september,go figure?

Tiling courses that last a few weeks will show basics only ,even the ones that last a couple of years still only deal with the basics according to my apprentice,but at the end of the day they are a stepping stone a lot of people forget that we all had to learn.

A

Andrew Case

Tiling courses that last a few weeks will show basics only ,even the ones that last a couple of years still only deal with the basics according to my apprentice,but at the end of the day they are a stepping stone a lot of people forget that we all had to learn.

exactly!

Reply to help needed on the right course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen