Search the forum,

Discuss Help I need your opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sanke

Hi all I am not an experienced / pro tiler but I have done a fair bit for customers all of which have been happy in the past. I recently had to do a job for a customer removing tiles & then retiling his downstairs toilet. At initial meeting I told him I was not a pro & offered to organise a pro to do the tiling. The customer decided that I should do the tiling as ot was only a small room & that would be easier. I was due to finish last Monday, however, on the Saturday before he called me & said that the job was below his expectations & that he would only be paying me for two days work excluding materials :yikes:. This was very surprising as every day his wife said she was pleased & even offered on the Thursday to pay half the money. He had also previously stated that all was good. He has since reneged on the offer & withdrawing payment altogether :yikes::yikes:. I have attached a few pics of the work & would be grateful for constructive criticism Also if anyone can help with regard to getting money from the customer / protecting myself from this happening on the future I would be most grateful. I really like tiling & would like to do more but this has made me very wary Thanks Steve

Attachments

• 20130402_121455 (480x640).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20130409_153958 (640x480).jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20130410_162147 (640x480).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20130412_143702 (480x640).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20130412_143711 (480x640).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 107
S

Sanke

He said grout on tile. Box section around waste pipes insecure (wasn't finished) Tile render on wall above tile line wold result in having to have whole walls reskimmed !! I know you cant tell a lot from pics as you cant see a great deal of detail but from what you can see was I doing something majorly wrong ??

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Well from your pictures:

I can't see that any grouting has been done.
Boxing, as you say is incomplete.
Adhesive on wall will come off easily.

The wall/plaster in the first picture looks a bit of a state. But can't see if anything has been done to ensure loose plaster etc was delt with.
From your pictures i couldn't "highlight" anything major. What discussions have you had with the customer. Is he/she letting you complete the work?

S

Sanke

Grouting was done on last day at job (Thursday) so would still have some residue etc on tiles. The wall/ plaster shows how wall was when I removed the original tiles. All loose plaster was removed, the wall then sbr'd & levelled using tiling render. No real discussions with customer as he is now refusing to speak & wouldn't let me back into house to either rectify problems or finish work

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I'd go round and speak to him face to face. Ask for a snag list or what issues/complaints he has and say you'll rectif/complete works. Do you have anything in writing as far as the job goes?

S

Sanke

Unfortunately nothing in writing. I was recommended to him by another customer. From our last conversation when he offered me part payment he stated I either accept that or pursue him through the court so don't think he will be of the mind to discuss Also as they have previously both said they were happy then they were "not happy" don't think I would get money at end Your expert opinion on my tiling is more of my peace of mind as I am currently tiling a wholee bathroom for inlaws & have several projects at home to tile

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
biggest problem you made was telling him your not a tiler, you have left yourself open to be shot down, having said that imo you should never have taken the job on unless your fully capable of doing it to a high standered, and looking at the few photos its hard to tell, as none of them are showing finished job, however he can not just ignore you, if theres a problem with your work he has to give you the chance to put it right....

S

Sanke

Hi Andy I appreciate your comments on telling him I was not a pro tiler, perhaps a bit naïve but honest & up front However, all previous tiling jobs have concluded satisfactorily & I did feel confident in the job that I was taking on. That said what would you advise ( or did when you started tiling ) that I tell customers in a similar position as I would like to take on more tiling work in the future ?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
You told him and he accepted it and employed you. Verbal contract though. It's difficult to give you advice on this really. Are you out of pocket by much?

Reply to Help I need your opinions please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen