Discuss Help Disaster In Making ie Yellow Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

philibobs6

Hi, if its any help I still have a box of tiles, so nothing would stop me taking them off where the grout goes yellow, re tiling with what ever is best or what ever i need to do and what ever grout i need if this would help my cause for a white bathroom, and not yellow.

J

jay

hi as above tile size are your walls stud or solid brick and the adhesive you used did you grout with it :8:

P

philibobs6

hi as above tile size are your walls stud or solid brick and the adhesive you used did you grout with it :8:
ah right got you, didnt quite understand but do now, one wall where the shower head is and where the shower unit is, is made up of ply wood with old tiles and new tiles on top, the next wall meaning the length of the bath is a brick wall, with again old tiles and new tiles, i used b and q adhesive and as i remeber unibond grout, which turned yellow, re grouted months later with b and q own grout and adhesive which still turned yellow.

Hope this helps you to help me cheers in advance Jay

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi mate,based on what you have said personally i would rip it out and start again,,right back this time as well. remove the ply if possible and replace with plasterboard,ply on walls can cause all sorts of problems esppecially in moisture laden bathrooms.

also do you have anty ventilation in the room like an expelair as this may also be why your silicone is turning mouldy as moisture has no way to escape
there are lots of good mould resistant silicones out there

P

philibobs6

hi mate,based on what you have said personally i would rip it out and start again,,right back this time as well. remove the ply if possible and replace with plasterboard,ply on walls can cause all sorts of problems esppecially in moisture laden bathrooms.

also do you have anty ventilation in the room like an expelair as this may also be why your silicone is turning mouldy as moisture has no way to escape
there are lots of good mould resistant silicones out there

Just hve the bathroom window for ventilation, the bathroom is quite big nearly a single bedroom in size, the rest of the bathroom wall the other side has been re plaster boarded, as this wall was a real mess in its time.

Not looking good as the ply wood is the airing cupboard of where old water tank was, so doing this would be a big job, to replace one wall, inless i just replaster boarded over it, but probably making more mistakes and bodges, any other ideas, or adhesives grouts to use or methods than trying this,

J

jay

have to agree with kilty 55 on this one the only real fix is rip out and re do; with the adhesive was it already mixed in bucket or was it in a bag you had to mix:8:

P

philibobs6

have to agree with kilty 55 on this one the only real fix is rip out and re do; with the adhesive was it already mixed in bucket or was it in a bag you had to mix:8:

Yep your right mixed in a bucket and mixed the grout up. But if i did rip out what do i use for the future as in terms of products for adhesive grout and silicone? as ripping it out, taking it to brick on one wall and reboard another, do i use anything or would it just not turn yellow.

Thanks in advance

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just hve the bathroom window for ventilation, the bathroom is quite big nearly a single bedroom in size, the rest of the bathroom wall the other side has been re plaster boarded, as this wall was a real mess in its time.

Not looking good as the ply wood is the airing cupboard of where old water tank was, so doing this would be a big job, to replace one wall, inless i just replaster boarded over it, but probably making more mistakes and bodges, any other ideas, or adhesives grouts to use or methods than trying this,

if im honest and you do it again yourself without feeling confident about doing a good job it will cost you yet again,if its bumpy whites your using why dont you ask for a qoute from a reputable local tiler to see what it would cost to sort it and make the job good,the tiler may be able to get you a discount on tiles and will use good quality materials.

however if you want to really do it yourself you will get all the advice you need from the guys/gals on here to help you.:thumbsup:

P

philibobs6

if im honest and you do it again yourself without feeling confident about doing a good job it will cost you yet again,if its bumpy whites your using why dont you ask for a qoute from a reputable local tiler to see what it would cost to sort it and make the job good,the tiler may be able to get you a discount on tiles and will use good quality materials.

however if you want to really do it yourself you will get all the advice you need from the guys/gals on here to help you.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, I tiled the floor confidenlty and loved doing this, just sick of the yellow grout, and your right money into nothing if i muck it up, so I'll keep hunting, but what products would you recommend i used?

J

jay

okay you have got several issues of concern with your bathroom from adh to substrate as mentioned earlier best to remove do good prep work waterproof and re tile as trying to fix (you will be chasing your tail) as problem may be coming from ply as kilty55 has said you can post your job on here or start a new thread on how to do a bathroom right then you will get advice and recommendations on the best way to go hope this helps :8:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i would remove both layers of tiles and re plasterboard the walls,including the ply wall.

i would use a tanking kit round the shower area(waterproofing kit) a good one for you to use as a diyer would be a roll on one, and would choose either the pci lastogum one or the mapei one you can get one from the sponsor on here tile giant,this waterproofs the shower area and gives u peace of mind .

if its bumpy whites personally i would use mapei keraquik white adhesive which is a bagged mix yourself adhesive,being white it will help you when it comes to grouting as the grout joints will be easier to clean as oppose to grey adhesive and i would grout with either a pci white grout or a bal one as both are brilliant white.

also buy primer suitable for the adhesive you are choosing and ask the tile shop what one is suitable,same for the silicone both mapei,pci and bal are all good names to use

P

philibobs6

So even the brick wall to be plasterboarded as well, wow. 12ft high is that room and probably 16ft long. I wished I had known about this webite before I got a plumber to bodge the bathroom suite in, yep I paid for that, he did my mums and i thought his tiling was useless so thats why i have the problems, but i think i still would have if he had done it. Tanking "never heard of this", but will investigate this, and look at the names you mentioned. Thank you for your help, you and Jay.

P

philibobs6

okay you have got several issues of concern with your bathroom from adh to substrate as mentioned earlier best to remove do good prep work waterproof and re tile as trying to fix (you will be chasing your tail) as problem may be coming from ply as kilty55 has said you can post your job on here or start a new thread on how to do a bathroom right then you will get advice and recommendations on the best way to go hope this helps :8:

Thanks for your help and your right money into nothing, the stained yellow area i was after a quick fix not strip the lot, but seems from the professionals that this is the answer i will re post and ask as you have mentioned, as its not the tiling or setting out its the prep and products i need to know what to use.

Thankk you again

Reply to Help Disaster In Making ie Yellow Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley