Search the forum,

Discuss Hello to all and help with query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pat Perry

Hello Everyone. Just joined the Forum as trying to understand what to do about the floor in our newly converted bungalow. We will be having wet underfloor heating in our kitchen and conservatory - a large area of approx 100sq m. We want to put down honed and filled travertine on the floor but have been told by a slate supplier(we are having slate kitchen worktops) that the travertine will not be good as the heating will "pop" the epoxy filler in the holes and the floor will look naff quite soon. Does anyone agree with this please? Can we use travertine? Does the quality of the tile make a difference? We have found tiles at £ 18 sq m on web but don't know if this will be false economy. Thank you

D

DHTiling

Hi Pat and welcome...

Yes it does depend on the Travertine quality, at £18 a mtr then IMHO you are looking at a low grade, thus this will have more surface filler than a premium grade..

You require filler to be no bigger than a little finger nail in size..

You will find an awful lot of stone online will be advertised as premium but infact isn't... it is usually a lower grade and you cannot tell by 100mmx100mm sample that it is top grade..

Always go to see the stone at the suppliers and examine a few pieces from a crate of what you would be buying.. that is the best way to see exactly what you are getting..

T

Time's Ran Out

PHG, a forum sponsor, have quality travertine in stock and deliver Nationwide - but not at £18/metre!
I have cheap travertine on a dining room floor (being a pensioner) with an inlaid line of black granite and UFH. Been down a couple of years now and has a couple of holes to be filled but nothing major and as soon as I can get a decent tiler to fill them I will.:lol:

Jan 2010 030.jpg

P

Pat Perry

Thank you everyone. All your comments have been a good help. I think I will look for better/more expensive travertine. Has anyone bought from Walls and Floors on the Internet. They sell by the pallet load but this must be difficult to check quality. I have a tile sample that is about 300 by 300 mm and it looks OK to me but I suppose I don't have enough experience to know if it's any good. Could someone tell me how the best quality travertine is described please. I don't want to pay moret Han I need to but don't want to ruin a quality renovation project for the sake of a few hundred pounds. Thank you all so much.

Reply to Hello to all and help with query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.