Search the forum,

Discuss Grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

Eddie

Started puting travertine tiles onto a wall today, four different sizes. the three smaller sizes fit together in diferent ways, to make up the exact size of the biggest tile, BUT because they make the exact size it leaves no room for straight grout lines, so some of my grout lines are 4mm, others are only 2mm, or i trim 4mm off a lot of tiles. Have any of you had this before?

cheers, Edd

G

GazTech

Started puting travertine tiles onto a wall today, four different sizes. the three smaller sizes fit together in diferent ways, to make up the exact size of the biggest tile, BUT because they make the exact size it leaves no room for straight grout lines, so some of my grout lines are 4mm, others are only 2mm, or i trim 4mm off a lot of tiles. Have any of you had this before?

cheers, Edd
welcome to modular tiling...by the sounds of it..the tiles are not made to go together,otherwise the joints wouldn't differ....my advice is use different size joints but grout in same colour as tile to blend it in.....Gaz

E

Eddie

The four different size tiles come in the same box, with a diagram how to fit, so i think they are meant to go together, just not very well,lol. the customer is happy to have the different sized grout lines:8: , so up and on!!!!

G

GazTech

The four different size tiles come in the same box, with a diagram how to fit, so i think they are meant to go together, just not very well,lol. the customer is happy to have the different sized grout lines:8: , so up and on!!!!
a 60x30 put with two 30x30 leaves no joint....modular would be 60x30 and 28x28 if you catch my drift....good luck....Gaz

D

DHTiling

Travertine comes in different grades so sizing can happen on lower grade tiles.

First/Export Grade/Oasis/Selendi:

Best color selection, without any gray or black colors in the tiles.
The tiles will be selected crate by crate to be consistent in color.
Tiles are double filled. The first filling is by machinery after the honing process. The tiles are then checked and any holes that still exist are filled by hand.
No large filled holes are allowed. Chipped and broken edges are not allowed.
The sizes and the edge bevel are machined to strict tolerances.

Colliseo Grade:
Best color selection, without any dark gray or black colors in the tiles.
The tiles will be selected crate by crate to be consistent in color.
Tiles are double filled.
Large filled holes are allowed. Some filled holes through full thickness allowed.
May contain swirls or long striations (lines).
Chipped and broken edges are not allowed.
The sizes and the edge bevel are machined to strict tolerances.

Second/Commercial Grade:
Wide light/dark color variation, with gray or black inclusions allowed.
Defects in honing and sizing allowed. Small unfilled holes allowed.
No hand filling, large filled voids allowed , non-stop holes allowed (from the bottom to surface).
Cracked and broken edges permitted.
Delivered without any color selection or sorting.

While many applications call for the more rustic look of the Second/Commercial Grade, always ensure when purchasing travertine products that the grade is clearly stated.

E

Eddie

it's not different sizing. if you put the tiles on without grout lines, they would fit perfectly:huh2: .

Reply to Grout lines in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen