Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss For Dan in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dougs Third Go

ie, trimming green tags, I won't be offended if you trimmed mine Dan, I'm not as prolific as I used to be, I know the drill. I am, however, disappointed that you locked the thread when it was in Trusted Forum.

S

Spud

You can cut me if you like there are others giving more to the forum than me at the moment

J

jonnyc

You can cut me if you like there are others giving more to the forum than me at the moment
Cut me as well if I am not giving enough support.
to be honest I find that there is a hard core of trusted members who cover most questions.
being self taught I am probably less confident .
but if I see a question that other members cannot answer that falls within my experience I will

J

jonnyc

Sorry didn't finish last post.
recap I think we are well equipped with good advice .
i am guilty of not participating in much advice but this does not mean I do not follow or understand .
i try to find a thread or post that no one can give an answer to and only if I can make a contribution

D

DHTiling

To me it is knowledge that makes a trusted advisor , yes i know when i was admin that we liked trusted members to post a lot to keep the tag , but a lot of the green guys have earned their tags time and time again... their advice is on the forums for eternity for ALL to read for yrs to come , so to remove a green tag would be a bad move , those reading said advice would take it better if it is coming from a trusted advisor .. so i would leave them be and appoint new ones who also input great advice..

I know the forums have not been like it used to be , but with some backing from us greens i think it could be...

I try to post as much as i can but as some know i do have lots to do at home with the wife's MS etc.. but the negativity between tilers and multi traders is wearing thin now , i thought it was good humour and enjoyed the banter but newer ones do not seem to take it so... i don;t know it just seems we are at each other more nowadays..

Enough from me then .. just my take on things and i do hope we can progress from this stagnant period.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I had a quick look at Dans post about this today and have explained why I haven't been as proactive at least as much as I would like to be.

Putting my situation to one side, ive given this quite a lot of thought and I don't believe it is in the forums best interest to remove green tags from members.

The way I see it the TA tag is something earnt and acheived. I can't really see its merit primarily is on forum activity. If it was Lee from protilers would achieved his a lot lot sooner, and even Tea bag would be in the running for one!

From an outside perspective it is seen as it reads "trusted advisor". For those newbies and diyers looking for advice it holds water. Someone who has been recognised for their knowledge base as oppose to post count.
Just because someone has been away from the forum for a breif time doesn't make their advice any less trustworthy does it? I know we're all looking to rekindle the forum a little and push things forward, but I feel stripping someone of recognition, acheivement and dare I say it status (at least to the outside members/newcomers) can only effect the forum negatively surely?

At the moment I get the sense that there has been a big increase in work. I for one am rushed off my feet doing 17 hour days, 7 days a week. If anyone else in the green room, or of any other "banding" (for want of a better word) are experiencing the same increase in workload, they might not be able to participate as much as they did or would like to. But I'd like to think that when they do log on and contribute something that their input held the same weight and merit as it did when they kast logged on, regardless of how long ago that was.

D

Dougs Third Go

I do think that the higher posters get a bit tired of answering the same old questions time and again, hence the "drop off" in their post counts, I know a lot of my posts haven't been tile related, ie my dog and tunes posts, but in all honesty I'm quite happy just to read posts and now and again chip in when I feel somebody is giving bad advice, it's a bit of a vicous circle I guess...I'd still like to make it to 30K posts though, if I do that by 18th October I'd average 6k posts a year lol

Q

Qwerty

At the moment I get the sense that there has been a big increase in work. I for one am rushed off my feet doing 17 hour days, 7 days a week. If anyone else in the green room, or of any other "banding" (for want of a better word) are experiencing the same increase in workload, they might not be able to participate as much as they did or would like to. But I'd like to think that when they do log on and contribute something that their input held the same weight and merit as it did when they kast logged on, regardless of how long ago that was.

I quite agree Ali. I am writing this at 4am on a Sunday morning ....... not because I've been out on the beers or can't sleep, but because I've just finished work!
Doug is right too. The same questions tire rapidly and can often put me off posting but I feel the majority of us give it a good amount of our spare time & effort to assist as & when we can :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Read and understood. The thread I closed was more of a notification than discussion thread. But I don't mind you guys discussing it.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i am off the same opinion as others on this, i know i have not been posting as much at all recently not due to me not being interested but my workload this year has been phenomenal so i simply dont have the same time atm, i fully understand if my tag is removed though

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
As always tags are earned back easy by guys who have had them. A few heads in here have had them removed and put back a couple of times.

It would be lovely to look into the future and see the work load taking your time up (quite rightly so over and above a website!) and then tell us so we can remove it and give it you back on your planned date of being not so busy with work again etc

But its also awesome that you get busy with work randomly. So we just need to remove the tag periodically, which makes sure people are aware of the changes and encourages newer guys to post a bit more perhaps. Which is the aim I guess.

D

DHTiling

Basically you are being forced to post / advise regularly or you lose it , this is what I am on about that drives members away.

You can't force members to post. What a joke this is becoming.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
so whats the criteria for a green tag...? you have to post once a day..? once a week...a month...twice a year.... lol just cause you don't post as often you still have the knowledge that warrants the green tag....which is what I thought it was all about...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically you are being forced to post / advise regularly or you lose it , this is what I am on about that drives members away.

You can't force members to post. What a joke this is becoming.

I thought you were giving me a break for just even 2 weeks?!?!?!! Dave?

You're not being forced into anything, and nothing has changed since you administrated the forum and managed the role of ensuring only the regular trusted guys had the tags. Could link you to several threads in the mods forum that you had started that discuss who's gaining it, and who's losing it.

The criteria has always been the same andy allen, basically you provide advice to the forum, and do it often, and you gain the tag for being trusted as a source of decent knowledge etc. And the tag shows you contribute to the forum often.

Reply to For Dan in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks