Search the forum,

Discuss Floor deflection in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've been to see a job where tiles are coming loose on a ply overlaid floor. Underneath the ply it's chipboard but you can feel the floor bounce when you jump on it easily. I've told the guy that he really needs to take up the floor, strengthen with noggins and relay but he doesn't want to due to cost and having to take out two bathrooms which I can understand. He's asked if there is a quicker 'fix.' I've told him that I won't be offering a guarantee to any fix but here are my thoughts:-

Relay loose tiles on keraquick with latex additive to take it up to s2 flexibility. I'd then grout with a Bal wide joint mixed with GT1 additive. I could also use the Mapetex decoupling membrane but I'm not sure if it would help in this instance.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its already failing due to deflection I is likely to fail due to deflection if you relay it. Why would you. Your suggestion that you won't offer a guarantee regardless is a dreadful way to go on and dg ally holds no ground at all. If you take ths on you are subject to the provision of goods and services act and must supply a floor that is fit for the purpose for which it is designed and it won't be. Your client would have every right to sue you and so he should because in court or arbitration he would win hands down.

If you know it is right get it put right. Don't be a cowboy. If he does not want to do it properly don't do it at all.

Simples

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would forget it Martin. You do the job and offer no guarantee, WHEN it fails he will be telling everyone about another tiler who couldn't do his job properly.

Tell him to put something like a vinyl down or something along the lines of Karndean that will allow for deflection on the floor.

B

bugs183

As above Martin, some jobs just need to be walked away from, and this is certainly one of them.
As Ajax and John B says any agreement you have with the customer over you fudging this job will be out the window as soon as those cracks appear.
I'd phone him up and politely tell him that you can't do the job to the standard that you and him would like.

A

acetiled

Dont know if its avaliable to you , 20 mm compressed cement sheeting could bring the deflection up to standard.
the industry standard in new zealand is 1/360th of the span,
which equates to 1.1 mm with 400mm centres, this is hard to measure, basically if you feel movement it does not comply.
Otherwise Ajax,John,Bugs said it all

Reply to Floor deflection in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen