Search the forum,

Discuss Floor deflection in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimmycooker

Hi Lads,

I have a wetroom I need to tank, it is 4m x 1m (with marmox showerstone tray taking up 1m2 at one end).

I floored the rest of the upstairs & wetroom with 18mm WBP.

I have just realised / noticed that there is a join in the ply running perpendicular to the joists right at the door entrance where traffic will be heaviest.

I realise now I should have battened in between the joists, is there any way around this?

I have 30mm between the top of the ply and the bottom of the glass door.

How much space will a standard tile, grout, tanking take out of the 30mm?

Would a 10mm marmox board or something on top of the WBP stop the deflection without additional battening between the joists?

Thanks,
James.

R

Rich

To be honest, no I dont think it would do it. No matter what you overboard with you will still have the deflection underneath. Is there no way of lifting the boards and adding some noggins?

At the end of the day, it will be down to you. If you want to give it a go over boarding to see if you can loose the movement, that is up to you, but I dont think it will solve it. Cement boards give you a suitable surface to tile onto, they dont offer any strength to a floor and if the floor under them is moving then they will move and ruin the floor.

Reply to Floor deflection in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.