Search the forum,

Discuss External 2 part Latex SLC in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gavc0122

Hi Everybody,

I am having some extensive work done in my back garden and have now reached the final stages before laying porcelain tiles outside. My builder has asked to me to get in a 2 part Latex levelling compound to prepare the substrate for tiling. I am fortunate enough to have a family member working at a builders merchant so have always supplied my own stuff but i cant seem to find a 2 part Latex (he mentioned milk?) compound suitable for external use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I come across a bit dim but i have absolutely no knowledge of the building or tiling trade.

Many thanks

Gav

W

White Room

Hi and welcome..

As your builder knows what he needs could'nt he get hold of it for you.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Gav, as Beam for me, Cementone do one they claim to be suitable for exterior use, I have my doubts.

Let your builder choose, if it fails it is down to him.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a latex SLC that is suitable for external use. The latex used in most of these compounds is water soluble so would clearly not work. It is one of the things which can cause moisture delamination of these compounds from wet screeds.

Perhaps he means a two part epoxy??

I do stand to be corrected on this though

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a latex SLC that is suitable for external use. The latex used in most of these compounds is water soluble so would clearly not work. It is one of the things which can cause moisture delamination of these compounds from wet screeds.

Perhaps he means a two part epoxy??

I do stand to be corrected on this though

Thanks Alan, I thought I might be wrong in thinking no SLC is suitable for exterior use. Still some claim to be.

I think, if your expert imput, is the same as my gut feeling. You need not stand to be corrected.

I wish these companies would be less vague on the uses of their products, now it's my turn to stand corrected:oops:

G

gavc0122

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have seen the cementone external one and the builders merchants where my partners son works stock it so will come in as my cheapest option.
I presume my builder was going to use the 2 part latex slc to level as no water was likely to penetrate through the finished porcelain tile.

Thanks again

Gav

J

jay

might want to re think that as water will penetrate the grout and rising damp springs to mind

D

DHTiling

Stonefix SLC is suitable for external use.:)

StoneFix XP250 Self Levelling Smoothing Compound is a free flowing, self smoothing, protein / casein free, floor levelling compound, blended from a mixture of high quality, fibre reinforced raw materials.
Highly Flexible
Rapid Set
Concrete / Screeds
Underfloor Heating
Protein / Casein Free
Fibre Reinforced
Internal / External
Timber Floors / Chipboard
Pumpable
Eco Friendly

Reply to External 2 part Latex SLC in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen