Search the forum,

Discuss expansion joint with grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Hi all,

Do any of you just grout the expansion joints like internal corners of shower cubicles?? Was working with a tiler a while ago, he does it all the time!! ....same old line.... never had any problems!!...

..whats your thoughts?, certainly looks nice but i think id loose sleep!

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Simple answer, no, it wouldn't then be an expansion joint, would it, something would have to give when things started moving, grout first, would be my guess, then what ................certainly doesn't look nice anymore, and and and and and .

G

glasgow_tiler

never had any probs with grouting the corners in showers or any were else, usualy always silicone it anyway

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Only silicone, if you put grout in the corner and there is movement the following happens :-

1. Grout cracks and falls out
2. Water penetrates the joint
3. Water runs through on to ceiling below
4. Ceiling starts to have brown stains on it
5. Starts rotting plasterboard

Just do it right in the first place!!!!

M

Martino

I have always wondered this too... a lot of pro tilers mastic the corners but...a few years down the line it starts going black mouldy?....wouldnt it just depend on the age of the house as to wether it would deffinitly need silicone as oppose to grout?

J

jwatson

no just use anti bacterial silicone like microban
I have always wondered this too... a lot of pro tilers mastic the corners but...a few years down the line it starts going black mouldy?....wouldnt it just depend on the age of the house as to wether it would deffinitly need silicone as oppose to grout?

W

waterfd

It's also easier to remove and replace silicon. Definitely use a good quality silicon.

Reply to expansion joint with grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen